Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

All windows and doors have -wired individual magnetic

Customer Question

All windows and doors have ward-wired individual magnetic normally closed button switches and magnets in them, separated into about 15 zones. Three zones appear to have shorts in them. I can open the door or windows in the zone, and the zone light still
shows green (closed). I pulled one of the switches and tested it and it does open when moved from the magnet. So I think it's in the wiring in the walls and ceiling. I could just put in motion detectors, but really like when the control panel shows that all
the doors and windows are closed. Any suggestions? Thanks Jim
Category: Home Security Systems
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Obviously, you should test the wiring in the walls. If it is shorted, then when disconnected at both ends, and tested at one end (either end) with a volt meter set to measure Ohms of resistance, the meter will show zero or nearly. If that wiring is defective, then you might have to install a wireless sensor there... or run new wiring? I doubt that would be considered effective, but I throw it into the heap of things to consider about the solution to this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's definitely a short, and running new wiring wouldn't be possible. With some care, though, I could get at the wire by pulling out one of the switches.
These are sliding windows, so I'm not sure that I can put a wireless switch/magnet on each window since when they slide by each other they would break the magnets off. Or maybe there are replacement wireless switches that could replace the embedded switches? With eight windows I imagine that would be expensive even if they're available.
I'm wondering if there is some sort of wireless transmitter which I could connect to the loop (since the switches are in series) that would send a signal to some sort of receiver that would be connected to the alarm panel. When the windows are all closed, the transmitter would signal that to the receiver, which would "close" the circuit on the alarm panel. When a window is open, the receiver would "open" the circuit.
Somehow I'm guessing that this can't be a rare occurrence and that there must be some sort of off-the-shelf wireless device to address it. Maybe not.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Getting *one* wireless transmitter to tell your alarm system whether *any* switches of the eight in-series are opened, sounds like the best approach.

Here's one, not very cheap, example (of a wireless window sensor):

https://www.123securityproducts.com/elk6021.html?gclid=CN6N06DYycgCFcERHwodZ5gHRQ