Neil, Technician
Experience:  20 years experience in the alarm industry.
15873252

I have an FS-250 fire alarm panel and i'm adding a Pad3 in

Customer Question

I have an FS-250 fire alarm panel and i'm adding a Pad3 in the next room. 2 questions do i need 14/2 twisted shield cable to interconnect both panels or can it be unshielded? second question this appears to be a 2 wire system so i assume you loop from strobe to strobe and from strobe to horn/ strobe in and out? third question can a smoke be added in or do i have to run a different circuit for smokes and pull stations. from the way i see it it all just loops together? how many devices can i put on 1 circuit?
Category: Home Security Systems
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

In answer to your first question:

I think you would be well-advised to use shielded cable! it can prevent crossover of signals, and in an alarm system, you do not want anything of the sort.

As for the second question:

I'm not sure of the wiring as to strobe-to-strobe. As to how much you can add on the circuit, that depends upon the loading capability of the output circuit, and also whether they are powered independently of the circuit or (like a USB device often is) are powered by the circuit. Any which way, they must have a common Ground for sure.

Since my answer to your second question is not complete and certain in all details, I apologize and have Opted Out, opening the question for other Experts as to the second qeustion's details, about wiring and number-of-possible-devices-in-circuit for an FS-250 alarm panel.

Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.

Hi

You can put up to 504 input or output devices to the FS250... Though you still have a 6Amp power drain limit... The PAD 3 is an extender/expander and separate power supply up to 2Amps further.

https://www.asmintegrators.com/docs/Fire%20Alarm%20System%20Basics%20Document%20Illustrated1.pdf

Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.

Did you need any more help with this?