Michael
Michael, Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in the field of electronics repair, TV, VCR and computer repair.
11519491

Howdy, I have a Swann DVR9-4200, the 9 channel DVR. It will

Customer Question

Howdy, I have a Swann DVR9-4200, the 9 channel DVR. It will not turn on properly. If I unplug it and replug it in the Swann logo comes up and it says it is loading but then the screen goes black. The green power light is on but the red hdd light is not. I am just trying to figure out what is wrong with it
Category: Home Security Systems
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If the HDD light never comes On, then the HDD is probably defective and not initializing. That would require either the reformatting of the HDD inside the DVR, or more likely its replacement, at an initial guess.

How old is the Swann DVR9 ? did it ever work properly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had it for about 2 years or so. It worked perfectly for about 1 1/2 years but then it started doing what it is doing now and would work sometimes and now it just won't boot up at all.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

That sounds very like a hard disk going bad. At 2 years old, it is probably out of warranty, so any repairs to it would not be covered by warranty and would cost you something.

To be quite thoroughly honest, I am not well acquainted with Swann DVRs, and have advised you so far on general principles. I don't think I have enough expertise with this make of DVRs, to offer further instruction or help to a useful degree and with surety, so I have Opted Out - with apologies - in favor of another Expert's opinion and advice about this apparent hard drive or HDD failure in a Swann DVR.

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi, different expert here.

I am Tech Michael, I have read all the correspondence about your issue and you will need new HDD to fix this one.

Are you in the US or the UK?

Also may I have the age of your DVR?

Thank you

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in the US and the DVR is about 2 years old
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that.

Apparently the unit is trying to search thats what the not turning on indicates light means on that one.

This one seems to fail this way if there is a serious error with the HDD, usually the pickup (read head sticks to the disk and damages it beyond repair so retrieving data is also no longer possible unfortunately.

There is a method whereby you could send the drive out for this recovery but it is very expensive.

But I can see if a new HDD is available for that unit and talk you through the repair which is quite easy. At least that will restore your unit as if it were new.

In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.

Please rate kindly thus far, it won't cost you anything to rate my service to you kindly,

Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.

Thank you and have a wonderful weekend!

Tech Michael