Neil, Technician
Experience:  20 years experience in the alarm industry.
15873252

I have a WV-sw395a. I am looking to do a auto scan along

Customer Question

I have a WV-sw395a. I am looking to do a auto scan along with the facial recognition tracking. I assume it can be done? I also am looking for a cloud service that can also control the SW395 along with recording.
Category: Home Security Systems
Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.

Hi

This is just a camera... You will need a NVR to connect this to provide the storage and processing function... To try and store the footage directly to a cloud based storage is not cost effective due to the massive amounts of data and the parsing speeds and data required, most installations store the footage locally on a NVR and which can be accessed remotely... The remote connection allows you to control the camera as well as the settings of the NVR. Face recognition can be done but you will need a more upmarket NVR for this..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The camera has the built in face recognition and tracking. Please look at the specs and advise.
Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I haven't used it before... I think we might be a little at cross purpose on face recognition...There is face recognition that recognises the presence of a face and can track that face (ie move the camera to keep it on the face then home back afterwards), there is also face recognition that compares the face against a database of faces (ie employees) and logs accordingly... The later is more what you do with a NVR...

Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.

From the specs:

Face detection function detects the position of human face and the information is sent by XML or video stream

So you need the NVR if you want to do something meaningful with the face like match against a database... Shops use this type of technology to detect known shoplifters...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You are correct. I misused the term. I believe the actual term used by Panasonic is Auto Track. Does this make more sense and is it compatible with a cloud service now?
Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.

Sorry but no... A cloud service simply won't be able to handle the real time video stream in a cost effective way... Its better to store the footage locally and access that footage remotely...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
again, can you recommend a compatible low cost nvr?
Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.

I will need some information..

1. Potentionally how many cameras?

2. How did you want to use the face recognition?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have 2 of the sw395a's. These are the ones that will do the auto track.
Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.

So any face database? This will cost you more...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, like I said I used the incorrect terminology. There is no face recognition, just autotracking on movement.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what I really want to do is have it auto pan as it picks up someone have it auto track and record to the NVR
Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.

Then most 4ch NVRs will be ok, shop around onEbay and Amazon, you will pay extra for "name brands" like Samsung, Bosch and Panasonic... I can recommend all three... You can pay a little less for lower level name brands like Swann and Lorex... The generic brands out of China can be very cost effective and I have used them as well... Often less than half the price of a name brand...