Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a PowerMax Visonic model 5450 Home Alarm system. The

Customer Question

I have a PowerMax Visonic model 5450 Home Alarm system. The CPU battery trouble signal beep came on. I replaced the rechargeable batteries and I also checked the fuse on the back of the unit. I armed and disarmed it to reset the trouble beep. It has been over 8 hours and the CPU battery trouble beep is still coming on. Any idea what else might be causing the trouble message?
Category: Home Security Systems
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Aside from the battery possibly being defective - measure its voltage while it is in-circuit to see if it genuinely is good enough, or just disconnect the AC power from the alarm system to see if it runs at all on just the battery (if that is easily possible - if not, don't bother with this test...) ...aside from the battery possibly being defective, you most likely need to log in with the administator code or master code, and go into memory and reset the 'battery error' or 'tamper error' flags. These flags may be persistent even after the error is relieved, in order to keep someone from bypassing the alarm system simply by unplugging it and removing its battery.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I took the old battery to Interstate Battery they check the volts and it came back with 7.4 volts. Which would indicate the old battery was good. I told Interstate to go ahead and "build" me a new battery (6 cell "AA" rechargeable batteries). I've had the new 6 cell battery pack in the Alarm System for 16 hours, enough time for them to recharge. I unplug the unit as you suggested and the unit completely turns off. The problem with my unit started after a power outage which occurred two days ago. I feel that the new battery pack is good. However, something is preventing the unit from operating off of the batteries when power is lost. Do you think if I were to log in with the Administrator code and reset the battery/tamper error that it might resolve the problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have reviewed the User, Installer and Programming manual for instructions on how to reset the 'battery error' or 'tamper error' flags. I logged in using the master code and I wasn't able to find an option for erasing/resetting the batter error. Do you happen to know what screen or tab that might be? Do you have any other suggestions?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Measuring a rechargeable battery without any load (electrical power drawn from it at normal operating levels of the device) is not indicative at all, of its being failed/not-failed. A meter doesn't load it down.

What happens when you unplug the unit from AC power with the new, fully charged, batteries in it?