Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a sansui se-88 equalizer. Music cuts in and out and

Customer Question

I have a sansui se-88 equalizer. Music cuts in and out and is a little static. What could cause this. I have cleaned the inside with electronic spray cleaner.
Category: Home Security Systems
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,
Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...
Initially, is the "...Music cuts in and out and is a little static..." consistently exhibited on any input source ? INPUT, TAPE-1 and TAPE-2 ...is the symptom also observed on using either REC OUT jacks? ...as well as on the display bar?
Still, the described symptom almost always point to an internal hardware issue or more particularly, possible suspects after a review of the Service Manual are:
• failing OP-AMp(least likely);
• leaky coupling capacitors (likely);
• cold solder / loose connection(s) (most likely).
All of the above would require that the unit be opened up for visual inspection, voltage/continuity/resistance checks, confirm faults and effect repairs.
I realize that the above information may perhaps be not what was expected. Unfortunately, there is no quick-n-easy fix and neither is there a workaround; sorry for having to be the bearer of bad news.
Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multimeter and even perhaps a soldering iron?
Equally important, could you make use of the repair/Service Manual or at the very least, the schematic diagrams?