Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

Attempting to assist a security vendor. Installed an Alarmnet

Customer Question

Attempting to assist a security vendor. Installed an Alarmnet 7847i on a corporate enterprise network & the 7847i will not stay online (link light goes out after 30 seconds). Wireshark'ed it and the 7847i requests & receives a DHCP address but then link light goes out before router gets an ARP reply. There is a enterprise firewall that does not block outgoing traffic. Is ther something we're missing about the 7847i that we're overlooking? Thanks for all your help.
Category: Home Security Systems
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
So, does the 7847i actually get a (DHCP-assigned) IP address, on the local network?
Or, does it go to an APIPA or similar 'non-communicating' address?
If it gets no DHCP address, it may still get an IP address, if it is assigned a fixed IP address.
The question in my mind is, has the 7847i been set to have its IP Address assigned by DHCP ?
Or, if not, has it been assigned a 'fixed' or 'static' IP address (i.e. one that you the manager of its settings and setup, have pre-assigned to it) that is compatible with this local network (i.e. that is part of it - for instance, a local network whose base IP Address or Default Gateway address is
192.168.1.1
would mean your 7847i's static/fixed IP address would be compatible if it were
192.168.1.125
but not if it were
10.56.1.125
if you see what I mean.)