DrKlahn, Computer Analyst
Experience:  BSci: Electrical Engr., Industrial Engr, and Computer Sci.

How do I playback the .264 downloaded video?? cannot get it

Customer Question

How do I playback the .264 downloaded video?? cannot get it to work with VLC media player!
Category: Home Security Systems
Expert:  DrKlahn replied 4 years ago.

Good afternoon. Thanks for using JustAnswer. I'm Bruce Mitchell, aka "DrKlahn."

H.264, while a good solution for video, is not a widely used codec, and it became much less popular after Chrome dropped support for it. I encountered this same problem myself a few months back.

I solved it by downloading the DivX H.264 codec from this site: There is also an alternate codec, if the DivX codec does not decode properly:

I also use Media Player Classic ( instead of VLC or VideoLAN, but that is purely personal preference.

Try this solution, and see if it works for you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am having a problem getting those to work for me, the DivX decoder installs, but then in the start menu, I only have a "configure" entry and an "uninstall" way to run it or open a file with it. the x.264 free codec installs and then disappears, leaving no trace of where it is or what it is doing. The media Player Classic simply won't find the .264 files I have downloaded when I browse to the folder where they are...Still Stuck!
Expert:  DrKlahn replied 4 years ago.

That is the correct behavior. Codecs install and then disappear from view. Once the codecs are installed, Media Player Classic should be able to open a video file created using an H.264 codec. However, the files must have the .AVI extension. Any other extension (.MPG, .WMF, .FLV, ...) won't work.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The file type that is saved is like this 022312.264 the file type is .264, not an .avi, .mpg, etc...this is the file that the lorex eco saved to my hard drive...
Expert:  DrKlahn replied 4 years ago.

You'll need to change the file type to .AVI in order for Media Player Classic to recognize it as a video file.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well, if the answer is to convert all the h.264 files to .avi, then I don't need freeware codecs correct? VLC media player has no problem play .avi's in my experience. Is that the final solution? Convert all H.264 files downloaded from Lorex Eco DVR's to AVI format to play?
Expert:  DrKlahn replied 4 years ago.
There is no conversion involved. Just rename the file extension to .AVI. The codecs are required so that the file can be properly decoded. This is one of the major problems with H.264 - the programs that produced it used non-standard file extensions and, in some cases, even non-standard file formats.