Neil, Technician
Experience:  20 years experience in the alarm industry.
15873252

I have a Q-See QS408 that allows me to remote view via the

Customer Question

I have a Q-See QS408 that allows me to remote view via the admin account, but does not allow me to log in on the console with those same credentials. Something is messed up. Is there a way do do a restore to factory settings without having to log in first?
Category: Home Security Systems
Expert:  LOAJ3256 replied 2 years ago.

LOAJ3256 :
Hello. On this model DVR you cannot use the same password for "local" and "remote" under ADMIN. You MAY want to DISABLE password on ADMIN
When you first startup your system, you are automatically logged in as the ADMIN under Device ID000000. The
system employs two user authorities connected to a Device ID. The authorities are as follows:
• ADMIN (administrator): Has full control of the system, and can change both administrator and user passwords and
enable/disable password checking
• USER (normal user): Only has access to live viewing, search, playback, and other limited authorities. For security
reasons, it is highly recommended to enable passwords on your system. If you enable passwords, you must
select a 6-digit ADMIN password and a 6-digit USER password.

You can change the Device ID and password of the ADMIN and the USER from the Password menu.

To open the Password/security menu:

1) Right-click anywhere onscreen to open the Sub-Menu and select MAIN MENU.
2) Click BASIC. The Basic Setup Menu opens.
3) Click PASSWORD. The Password/Security menu opens.
To change your Device ID and Password:
1) Click the field beside DEVICE ID and enter a 6-digit numerical Device ID using the Virtual Keyboard (mouse
only). For example, change the ID to 000010.
2) Under PASSWORD, select DISABLE.
The ADMIN and USER passwords must not be the same.

3) Click APPLY to save your changes. Click CLOSE in the confirmation window.
4 Click EXIT in each menu until all windows are closed.

Customer :

I appreciate the info but this does not help me to do a reset to factory settings without having to log in first.

Customer :

I can connect and remotely view the cameras with the user name of 'admin' and password of '123', but I am unable to log in locally with the user name of 'admin'. I have tried and exhausted every variant of three and six digit passwords that I might have used in the initial setup.

LOAJ3256 :

If you can login via IE, then you should be able to deafult from remote -- see if you can do so, under configurations on your PC

LOAJ3256 :

If you do above, it SHOULD allow you to either defualt the settings (all will be lost!) OR change the PW / Click "SETTINGS" to access setup interface; the parameter settings are the same as on the DVR.

LOAJ3256 :

Have you tried NO password, just enter? The DEFAULT IS no password on these - unless you did put one in, the UNIT password in empty, , again, unlesss you changed it AT the DVR

LOAJ3256 :

If you are still there , please let me know as this is timing out

Customer :

I am still here.

Customer :

I have a remote session to the network where the DVR is setup and am trying to connect via IE... no luck.

Customer :

I did put a password in. The default of [blank] password does not work.

Customer :

I can connect remotely via iPad using the IP Cam Viewer app using admin/123, but no other devices seem to be able to connect.

Customer :

It appears that I can connect via the Multi-Client app provided by Q-See from my Windows 7 desktop at home, however the video feeds do not show.

Customer :

Using the Multi-Client app I can click on the 'Setup' button, 'Device Setup' tab, 'Edit' button. This appears to bring up the setup of the DVR. There is no restore to factory option and changing the password has no effect.

LOAJ3256 :

Ok same goes -- if you have admin level on APP , go to system config where you can change your settings - These DVR's make it hard -- and should be - to circumvent admin codes, so employees cannot erase or modify , hence the need for basic user function VS admin

LOAJ3256 :

There SHOULD be a DEFAULT icon if you have FULL admin under this account

LOAJ3256 :

"default" = factory reset basically

Customer :

I do not see a 'default' option or button using the Multi-Client app. Maybe Admin is not FULL admin.

LOAJ3256 :

yes -- you must have restricted config option.

Customer :

There must be some hard reset procedure. I believe that is my only option as I am not making any progress trying to log in with the credentials set.

LOAJ3256 :

try login via broswer and do same - do you know the LAN address to do so? Do not do on phone / app

Customer :

trying via browser on workstation at site... no luck

Customer :

can not get past log in

LOAJ3256 :

ok a hard reset as I mentioned , is possible on SOME DVR's - remove cover (power down 1st, remove power supply) Check the motherboard for a TINY reset button. It varies across all odels, even the same manufacturer

LOAJ3256 :

If you can locate a reset on MB, re power and HOLD IN reset until BEEPS are heard, and try front panel login see if it defaulted

Customer :

I pulled the cover off and looked for a reset button... no luck.

Customer :

I did find a battery on the motherboard and pulled it... no luck. I believe that this is just for the clock as the manual indicates that messing with this may wipe out your time and date settings.

Customer :

about to do a hard reset with my foot...

LOAJ3256 :

Battery is for BIOS . TRY SHORTING OUT the battery terminal WHILE you push POWER ON -- a long shot but better than the foot. You may also try another HD and see if it will initialize into the menu, again a long shot. I assume you made a PW when installed as you described, did you use numbers only? Do you remember if you used a 4 or 6 digit? I ONCE had an employee of mine sit and punch in EVERY 4 digit combo when a customer did this -- and he found it @ "1985"?

Customer :

Tried shorting the battery terminals and removing / replacing the hard drive... no luck. Can you find out the reset procedure from Q-See?

LOAJ3256 :

The reset - or default - as I mentioned - is a admin level excecution. l pulled the manual again, but there is no refernce to doing a hardware board reset , and the one I gave you is a generic Linux embedded procedure . I will dig further on my locked site forums , as I did before. I will inform you if I can figure out a hack.

Customer :

I am still stuck with a DVR that can not be reset to factory default settings. Is there no solution?

LOAJ3256 :

Can you get to "SYSTEM" menu?

LOAJ3256 :

If you can get to SYSTEM menu click to DEFAULT SETTINGS and this will restore to NO password and you can start from scratch.

*IF that does NOT work, the only way to possibly reset would be to install the FIRMWARE from a USB thumb drive (make sure you FORMAT FAT 32 first!) Then go to the following link and download THE firmware for the "QS" http://qsee.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/53/1307973010/redirect/1/filename/how%20to%20upgrade%20firmware%20-QS.pdf

Here you will find instructions to UPDATE - in your case at this point do not worry about the VERSION as even the oldest will get you going if all goes well. Please let me know if this helps..

Customer :

This does not work for me. I can only remotely connect to view the cameras using admin/123. I can not log in locally with admin privileges. As such, I can not get to the system menu, nor can I update the firmware. The update instructions you are giving require me to get to the System Maintenance menu and System Update function.

LOAJ3256 :

understood, my point is / was that these DVR's lock out , as they should for forensic anti tampering, and I am trying to empower you to work around not having to RTF for a factory EPROM re set. to that end, IF you had the firmware on a USB stick, it +may+ let the system take control of admin and reset to default after firmware (update or otherwise) is over written. This is a theoretical possibility, it generally requires a RTF when this lock out occurs with no internal EPROM erase function - basically doing the job as programmed, actually. Regards

Customer :

Your answer may not have been intended to insult or offend me, but that is exactly how I feel at the moment.

Customer :

I purchased this DVR with my own money and am trying to get it working again so that I do not have to purchase a new DVR.

Customer :

I am not a criminal and it is not a criminal act to reset a DVR.

Customer :

I am not asking for 'free' advice.

Customer :

I am a little frustrated... make that a lot frustrated. I am re-reading your last post and trying to not take this personally, but I am finding it difficult to accept that this piece of equipment is for all intents and purposes a 'brick'.

Customer :

I am a little calmer now... I have re-read your post and I apologize for taking offense where none was given.

LOAJ3256 :

Hello and thanks for the re post -- Please understand as an alarm professional in the US for over 35 years, I understand and attempt at all times to practice a "gray" area policy , such as NOT giving certain information VS "helping" someone to circumvent security. I hope you understand, as I have personally witnessed , on more than one occasion, the "other guys, Company's " failure to do so, and have an employee, an ex, or even a close relative, by pass alarms, erase video, etc. by convincing "someone" to bypass , disable, etc. the system.

I tend to act cautiously and not "blurt" as best as I can , to make best effort to keep clients happy and serviced , while being cautious of potential " certain parties" that may , again, have less than honorable intentions. This is why I probe and post , taking a bit longer

I suppose VS some other experts who may see no liability and answer ANYONE'S questions on security to make a buck and get a "star", I am different, but informed. I never accused you of this, of course, but only tried to practice best policy on the information given, and due to the simple fact that we had "several" threads RE: ability to remote "in" (USER), but not perform ADMIN, etc. I do hope you understand.

To that end, feel free to accept another experts opinion / "self replace circuit level parts " etc, and I will be happy to refund you. Please advise, and thanks for the ;long read....

Customer :

I respect your integrity, however that does not help me and my technical issue. In this case, the price of your integrity is the rejection of your non-solution / non-answer to my problem.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
The previous technical expert refused to assist with my issue. I have a Q-See QS408 DVR that I need to reset to factory settings. I can access video remotely with the username/password of admin/123, but I can not log in locally to administer this device.
Expert:  LOAJ3256 replied 2 years ago.
"refused' is mis characterized here! I simply had you test several scenarios / options - they did not work and I suggested a factory return for a reset since you lost or forgot the ADMIN / PW you assigned during set up. I am sorry you fealt that my efforts to do so equaled a refusal to help, but I stand by my posts - thanks you and good luck
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Expert:  Neil replied 2 years ago.

There is no way to perform a reset on this unit, it does not have that function... All that can be done is to replace the EAROM I'm afraid and that is not something the User can do......

The password for the local admin login has to have 6 digits, the fact you are only using 3 makes me think it is a remote login only...Your local login may be under a different login name or the same but has to have 6 digits.... if you cannot remember then the unit will have to be sent back to Q-See... Sorry the news isn't better...