Neil, Technician
Experience:  20 years experience in the alarm industry.
15873252

Hi, I have an Ademco M6674 REV A keypad. Because the same code

Customer Question

Hi, I have an Ademco M6674 REV A keypad. Because the same code numbers have been used for so many years, the keypad doesnt work very well in the winter as it is in a cold hallway. I would like to change the in and out security codes to use different numbers before the cold weather hits. Can u provide some instructions for my keypad to change my security codes. thanks in advance.
Frank
Category: Home Security Systems
Expert:  Glen Moore replied 3 years ago.

I am here to help you with any home or business security system questions. I will try my best to help answer your questions. Thank you!

Please tell me exactly how you arm and disarm the system.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
when i come into work in the morning, i press 25251 to dissarm. when i leave to go home at the end of the day, i press 25252 to arm when away. the #'s 1, 2, and 5 on the pad dont operate well when cold as they are wearing out. thats why i want to change the code to nubers on the key pad that work properly. thanks
It will depend on what MAIN control panel you have. This is the box where all wires run to. First we will try it the standard way if this does not work, you will need to get back to me with the model # XXXXX the main control panel (larger box in closet or cabinet somewhere)

Enter your existing code

push the button that says "code"

Enter 0 and 2

Enter your new FOUR DIGIT code NOT FIVE!

Enter your new FOUR DIGIT code again and you should hear a beep at the end

Try your new code as you normally would. FYI, The #1key is just a command key "off" and the #2 key is the "away" is to arm when leaving. These are not actually a part of the user code but rather commands to tell the alarm what to do after you have entered your user code.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

that didnt work. no beep after entry. the display says"not ready". May need to start from scratch.

inside the main control panel says "Star XL4600" manufacture FBInc. back of the keypad says Ademco 6128. Molded into the inside of the keypad cover is N5976V2, M6674, REV A.

Ok,

You have had an old FBI system in there to begin with which may have been updated with to an Ademco. If you look at the circuit board where all the wires are attached can you see any identification labels on it.

Try the same sequence as before but instead of hitting 0 and 2, just hit the number 2. If that does not work, then instead or hitting 2 try 1. There is a distinct difference between FBI panels and ademco panels and how you go about changing the code. With the XL4600 panel the master user is user #1. With Ademco panels the master user can be programmed in various ways. Let me know what it says on the circuit board.

FYI

You had mentioned that the some of the keys do not operate well...This could give you problems trying to changing the code.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, i tried the 2 and the 1, no go.

the circut board has a bar code sticker that says:

SAVS 10SECE

ASSY, PCB,VISTA-10SE, W-E2

the lcd display says as follows:

upper left of display- 09

upper right AC

lower right not ready

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

they all work fine now. in the winter, because the panel is in a cold hallway, i need to press the 1, 2 and 5 keys real hard for them to make contact. the other keys, while cold press and beep easily. i want a code that doesnt use 1, 2 or 5.

have any other tips for me?

i should be able to reprogram this system now while warm and use the keys that work for me in the winter months.

https://library.ademconet.com/MyWebTech/DocShow.aspx?an=sd&tl=DocSearch&kd=12419466

Here is the link to programming user codes. If you enter 4111 and the off key does it beep?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no, it does not beep.

i will look at the link

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
seems u need a id and password XXXXX use link.

Ok,

Can't give you that!

Try this,

Enter 2525 plus 8 plus 2

Now enter new four digit code TWICE. If you hear three beeps if it was accepted

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no dice

that doesnt work either.

is there a sequence i could try as if it were being set up for the first time? like clear all and start fresh. where i dont know where i stand now w all the changes. my 2525 doesnt even work now.

Well the default installer code is 4111 for that panel. That is why I had you try 4111 to see if it was still in the panel. The only other way to re-enter the installer code is to power down the system (unplug the battery in the main panel and unplug the transformer from the wall outlet). Then you reapply the power by plugging the transformer back in and then the battery. After that you have about 50 seconds to get to the keypad and press the * and # XXXXX at the same time. This puts you into the main programming mode (installer) and you will be at the first programming field which is #20. You would then enter a four digit code. after you that then you would * and 99 and wait for a minute to let the panel reset. You should now have a new installer code entered into the system.

Sequence for entering new master code using the installer code.

At the keypad enter the installer code you previously programmed.

Press 8 then 2 and the new MASTER code that you want.

You will hear three beeps if it was accepted.

Expert:  Neil replied 3 years ago.

Hi

Gregs instructions to try and change the code are correct but if your code is not the master then it will not work... Plus changing the code won't help as you still need to use the 1 and 2 in normal day to day use regardless of the code...

It is easy to clean the keypad... After a few years a build up of carbon occurs and can be easily cleaned off...

If you want to try this come back to me and I will guide you through the steps...

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes i would like to clean the key pad. i would like to get this working first. rid of the 09 code.

i did remove the keypad backing, looked like it was installed over some plastic pegs that were then melted to flair them and hold the key pad in there.

Expert:  Neil replied 3 years ago.

Is the membrane of keys that you press held in place to the front of the keypad by the plastic? If so we only need to separate the circuit board of the keypad away from the that membrane... This will expose the black contacts on the keys and the grids they make contact with on the board...

I don't have one in front of me right now but can get one if need be...

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

its beenn helpful so far, but my keypad is not working still. the 09 code is still there, not letting me set or arm the system. i would feel a lot better if i get this working. thanks

seems maybe you did not get one of my replies. i have an 09 code in the upper left corner of the display and a not ready code in the lower right. i need to have these gone i'm sure before i can use this. make any sense?

Expert:  Neil replied 3 years ago.

The 09 is probably because you have the control box open? If not what is zone 9? This is indicating zone 9 is in alarm so we need to normalise that before you can arm it again...

Be sure to click Accept on my Answer if I have helped you today...

If you check the keypad door, it sometimes has a zone list. 09 would would most likely be a wireless zone or opening somewhere that is not closed all the way.
Expert:  Neil replied 3 years ago.

Reply to the expert you wish to work with and accept....