Neil, Technician
Experience:  20 years experience in the alarm industry.

Networx Series NX-148E LCD Keypad assistance

Customer Question

I have a Networx Series NX-148E LCD Keypad. My security installer is no longer in business. We disconnected our phone line and since then the key pad is telling us *2, which is we need service for phone control problems. I started by disconnecting the phone line from the panel.

My first question is, do I need to do something to reset the key pad so it no longer has *2 service call needed?  Or do I have to pay $85 plus dollars for someone else to come out here and take out wires which I am more than capable of doing myself to get rid of this *2 service code.

Another thing that may be causing this is the Caddx Celemetry Module.  was about to try and disconnect this, but thought I should find some assistance first.

Hope to hear from you
Category: Home Security Systems
Expert:  Neil replied 5 years ago.

The alarm has to be reprogrammed to stop it attempting to dial out...

To do this we will need the installer code from your old alarm company or we will have to reset the whole panel and reprogram it from scratch...

If going this way i will need the model of the panel from the control box (not the keypad) It will be a NX4 or similar.... The box will be in the roof or in a cupboard near the ceiling...

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No luck with the insaller code. Model I believe is NX-8V2
Expert:  Neil replied 5 years ago.

I have to go out now but will stick with you on this....

Try the default install code of:

*8 9713

*8 971300

There should be a lot of lights flash if this works, otherwise nothing or a long beep...

If this works press the exit button to hop back out and let me know and I will give you the instructions to turn off the monitoring (when I get back)

If this doesn't work then let me know and we will try the default of the whole panel...

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It did not work.

I tried it a few times and now the alarm is on and the I cannot disarm it. I will keep trying. If is goes off and I cannot get it to turn off, do you have any suggestions?

By the time you get back to me, I may have solved it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did manage to get the alarm unarmed. It gets confused as it is looking for the phone. I'm also wondering if I should disconnect the Caddx Cellementry Module too. ( I already disconnected the phone line.

The Caddx is connected to the KP Data, KP Com, and KP Pos ports. Then there is a White, black and red wire also connected to that, which goes out into the wall.

My husband just thought instead of disconnecting the phone and Caddx, that we would need to program the alarm to bypass or not look for a phone line. We want to keep our alarm activated when we are gone, but not monitored.

Thanks for trying to work with me.

I will be gone much of the day tomorrow but will look for a response tonight or tomorrow.

Expert:  Neil replied 5 years ago.

I'm back...

OK we need to try a back door entry into the panel but I need a time when you are available... Just come back to me when you are ready... You will need to completely power down the system when we do this so will need to remove the battery and turn off the power....

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Tommorrow is better then. Are you available all day tomrrow or between certain times?
Expert:  Neil replied 5 years ago.
This time every day is when I am online....
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Are you online yet?
Expert:  Neil replied 5 years ago.

What we need to do is to completely power down the controller (make sure the keypad is dead) then repower and within ten seconds of power up enter 971300, you may need two people to achieve this. try this multiple times, if unsuccessful....

Should put the panel into program mode...

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok. My husband will be home in a few hours. What time do you work to tonight EST?
Expert:  Neil replied 5 years ago.

I am in New Zealand.... Its 9am here...

It is easier with two people.... I have had to run through a house mentally counting down from 10 on more than one occassion

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

If it works then press exit so as not to get into trouble and what i will do is type you up a comprehensive set of instructions to do the whole thing...

I have tried this with another customer in the US and it didn't work, here in New Zealand the NX range is marketted by DAS whilst in the US its CaddX...

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Are you working tomorrow as well?
Expert:  Neil replied 5 years ago.

Yes but it will be Saturday so not as much...

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Funny, it will be Friday for us! I will give you a try, unless I my husband has time before you quit tonight. Thanks for your patience.
Expert:  Neil replied 5 years ago.
Any luck?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
im sorry to be putting you on hold for so long. We are in the middle of a huge project. What days do you work this week?
Expert:  Neil replied 5 years ago.
Come on briefly most mornings which is mid afternoon your time...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just wanted you to know that we are still hoping to get a time where we can all get together and try your reset. Hopefully tonight (morning for you). Diane
Expert:  Neil replied 5 years ago.
I am here now...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for trying to help us. My husband decided to hire someone locally and have them take care of it. Sorry I wasn't able to complete the session with you.

Expert:  Neil replied 5 years ago.

No problem...

I had to do one on Friday... power down and restart and then entered 971300 within 10 seconds and the panel was defaulted...

Good luck...