Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

I have a relatively new window unit air conditioner. It has

I have a relatively new window unit air conditioner. It has always been plugged into a power strip and then into an outlet. The cord will not reach the outlet. The other night when I went to turn the unit off it made a grinding noise for about 10 minutes before it went off and the lights dimmed. Then it went off. I didn't notice at the time but it blew the power strip it was on. The next day I tried to turn it on and it wouldn't come on. I got a new power strip and when I plugged it in there was a blue spark and then it came on making an irregular noise and then went off. That power strip is now blown too- nothing else will work on it. Any idea if it can be fixed?

Hi ...........what other things do you have on that one circuit? ...........How old is the unit?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
The unit is about 4 years old but I haven't used it that much. Nothing else on the circuit- i was an AC outlet.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I had plugged it into the wrong outlet the first time it made the noise but the second time I had it on the right outlet.

what do you mean by right or wrong ?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I had it plugged into an outlet that had other things on it- my tv/cable box/apple tv. I usually plug it into the outlet with nothing else on it.

heres what could have happened ............it really should have been all along with nothing else on it ......those things you had it on with draw a lot of amperage and it made it not sufficient enough for the A/C to draw what it needed ..............so unfortunately you may have done damage to the motor over a span of time............you may need a tech to come to check the motor or if it may be better to replace it ...........sorry for the bad news but what you probably heard was the motor or the fan blade grinding some

Thank you for the positive rating............ I hope you were able to make an informed decision or better yet your problem was resolved..........if you need anything else home improvement wise....... construction…….decorating...... or any kind of repairs etc....... please look for me ......it has been a pleasure

Customer/p>

and the bonus ............that was nice of you