Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

How do i repair fading designs like these on old furniture?

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

First pic just looks like the stained finish is worn. The fix is you find a stain that matches then rub the stain on just the worn section as much as possible then wipe off the excess Then use paste wax to finish. The second pic I can't tell if it's string inlay or painted lines. If it's paint anything you try is likely to make it worse. If it's string inlay then use Formby's build up remover to clean the piece.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No im talking about the details(striping etc) how would i fix/reapply?

It looks like string inlay. Unless you're a skilled furniture restorer this is beyond your ability. You're best option is to clean the piece which should make the inlay stand out more.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
leave it missing in places and just refinish everything?

That's the safest approach. Keep in mind with antiques you want to preserve as much of the original finish as possible. But in this case I'd try cleaning not refinishing which would remove the original finish which looks pretty good except for the areas where the original satin has worn off. Replacing string inlay is an extemely skilled task. Unless you're willing to pay a pro just cleaning this piece is best. Any unskilled attempt at inlay repair would make it worse and detract from the value of the piece.