Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

My Garage door opener remote not working, Couple of days,

My Garage door opener remote not working
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Couple of days
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no I have issue only with garage opener
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I have a Sears Craftsman Garage door opener, suddenly both of my remote controls are not working..It has been working for last couple of years, and recently it was working only when the light in the opener goes off.
For example, when you open the door, you cannot close it using the remote until the light in garage opener goes off...
But after those sporadic issues, now both the remote controls are not working... I tried resetting the garage opener by unplugging and plugging it back... But now the orange learn button doesnt even blink, when I try to learn...I have bought new remote control, compatible with this model, but same issue, the learn button doesnt even blink..
Below is the link for the new remote control that I have bought compatible to my model,
https://dooropenersandmore.com/sears-craftsman-139.53681-compatible-visor-remote-control?search=53681b

Hi my name is eddie. I can help you with your difficulties but I will need some information and I will ask you questions that I will need specific answers for. With your help, finding out what is right with it, is a step to eliminate what is wrong with it ......sometimes it may be one of a hundred things but together with your patience we can work toward a goal to get this issue resolved.

If I may ask:

1-) The make CRAFTSMAN and model and/or number of the unit in question and do you have the manual for it?

2-) how old it might be and if you are the original owner

3-) there are 2 safety sensors on your door do both have either an amber, or green light that is on steady and not flickering?

4-) can you tell me if you have a working wall control and how many working remotes

5-) any flashing LED lights on the opener (ceiling unit) and how many times it blinks before pausing? The color of the learn button is?

6-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage

7-) what happened that made it go from working to non-working ?

8-) are you using only the equipment that came with this opener?

9-) do you have a chain......belt......or screw drive?

10-) what exactly happens when you do click the transmitter?....... the door doesn't move but you hear the motor?......it goes partial way?........reverses?

11-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary?

We can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondence

If by some reason a resolution to the problem just isn't possible, I will do my best to supply you with any remaining options, from what other resources I can find.

Since we take pride in our good reputations, and you might feel the need to choose a bad service rating, I ask that you stop and consider replying back to me with any of your concerns.

Please always allow me time to prepare information for you. In case I have to go offline I am always checking back to keep things moving and expedited.

And thank you for your help and assistance

eddie

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
1-) The make CRAFTSMAN and model and/or number of the unit in question and do you have the manual for it?Model No: 139.53964SRT2-) how old it might be and if you are the original ownerI am not the original Owner, I assume it came with the house, might be 20013-) there are 2 safety sensors on your door do both have either an amber, or green light that is on steady and not flickering?One has green and other has amber color, both are not flickering4-) can you tell me if you have a working wall control and how many working remotesI have working wall control.. But both my remotes are not working, that came with the opener.
I also bought a new remote, from the link I have shared, but that is also not working.5-) any flashing LED lights on the opener (ceiling unit) and how many times it blinks before pausing? The color of the learn button is?The color of learn button is amber(orange), it doesnt blink at all.. When I press the learn button and then press the button on remote control for learn... The learn button doesnt blink at all..When initially it stopped working, and I used the remote, learn button used to blink, but opener doesnt operate..
So I tried resetting by uplugging and plugging the unit.. Afterwards when I press the button in remote, learn button doesnt blink at all...6-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outageI dont know, I changd the light bulb above the opener in the ceiling to LED, I read in forums that LED bulbs might cause some disruption.. So I have removed that bulb now and replaced it with CFL.7-) what happened that made it go from working to non-working ?It used to be working fine, suddenly it worked only when the lights in the opener goes off...
(i) I open the garage by using either remote/wall unit
(ii) Garage opens
(iii) I try to close it immediately using remote, but it works only when the light in the opener goes off.8-) are you using only the equipment that came with this opener?
Yes9-) do you have a chain......belt......or screw drive?I didnt get this question10-) what exactly happens when you do click the transmitter?....... the door doesn't move but you hear the motor?......it goes partial way?........reverses?When I click the remote, nothing happens... And to iterate again, the issue is only with the remote, the wall unit opener works fine.11-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary?Yes I will be able to do it as required.

#9 is the type of drive that moves the trolley that moves the door....... it could look like a bicycle chain or a rubber belt or a long threaded screw ........I would like to start off with simple fixes if we can ............I know you said you tried re-setting but there is a process........first I want to erase the transmitters then a hard reset and then a re program.......

ERASE THE TRANSMITTERS: hold down the LEARN button on the opener for 6 or 7 seconds….If you have a MY-Q device …immediately press and hold the LEARN button again until the learn LED goes out. All codes are now erased.

HARD RESET: unplug the opener what should be for a good minute......in the meantime remove the batteries from the transmitters including the key less.....and if you have a battery back-up.....there is no battery in the wall transmitter…..plug back in the opener and replace the batteries which should be fresh

Do you know how to re program the transmitters? Hold them with-in 16 inches of the opener when you do

The bulb could matter too especially if it is the wrong wattage ..........it may have damaged the control board...........well we can start here so...........

Please let me know how it goes

Thanks

eddie

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi , I have tried all of these steps, replaced batteries, unplugged and plugged the Opener, but nothing works...Also the bulb that I replaced was not in the opener, it was from the ceiling, above the opener..
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Could this be a logic board failure?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The light doesnt blink when I try to learn using the remote control

Like I stated it is all a process and if it wasn't done as a specified it wouldn't reset so maybe you can try it one more time ..............and in all honesty ......garage door openers have a life expectancy of 10- 12 years ......

yours may be even a bit older and more likely to fail you at the most inopportune time thus locking you either out of your garage. Or even worse yet if you need to get into your garage fast… due to security issues.

2-).New… safe….quiet… user friendly and the best part ……self-diagnosing openers these days start about $150.00

3-) it is the perfect weekend project where you can save on labor on the install

4-) the tracks the garage door are okay to keep unless you see signs that the rollers are wearing in which case they can be replaced.

Overall consensus is the Chamberlain Liftmaster/Craftsman brand openers are the most reliable on the market today……. they seem to last a bit longer than other brands before they start to malfunction and are easy and inexpensive to repair ………without having to purchase a new opener unit. i recommend these brands to my clients because of their reliability……… a new Chamberlain Liftmaster/Craftsman opener that is properly installed should last 10-12 years before any problems occur…….and that the tracks are maintained

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
you suggest buying a new garage opener instead of just replacing the Logic board in the current opener?

the logic board could cost around 90.00......the new openers are so much more sophisticated today where it can be programmed to your cell phone and car .........but the biggest thing like I stated is the self diagnosis .......your blinking light went out but it could have told you a cure ...............it is up to you .....I will abide by whatever you want to do .......but if it is the board..... we will be shooting blanks

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Sorry I am not able to understand.. I have tried both of your steps again now.. HARD RESET and ERASE The transmitters.. Let me know what to do next?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Replaced the batteries, and placed the transmitter near the opener. But the learn light just remains constant doesn't blink

I have more questions ........what was the name and model of the remote you purchased?...........when you bought it did the salesman mention if it was compatible with the Craftsman?............last is it a two part remote ...with a hand held and a receiver?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
sales person confirmed it is compatible.. This is the link for the remote I purchased.. https://dooropenersandmore.com…
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
https://dooropenersandmore.com/remotes/sears-craftsman-remotes
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Sorry this is the link...
https://dooropenersandmore.com/remotes/sears-craftsman-remotes/sears-craftsman-139.53681-compatible-visor-remote-control

this isn't a two part remote with a receiver .....................so this is the last thing we could try I want you to locate the antenna on the unit and maybe you can let me know if it is just a shielded copper wire or something else ..............check for any loose or broken connection ..........if you are handy with that maybe we can see if we change out that antenna and see if the remotes will work........after that it is the logic board

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Where can I find the antenna?

on the opener where the other wire connections are............should be lower left when you face it

I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and would consider a positive rating so I can receive credit for my help. I'm proud of the work I do here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!

Thanks

eddie