canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman
Experience:  i have extensive experience in the home improvement industry. my current job is at lowes home improvement.
64367226

Do I get the broken off blade out of my Milwaukee Sawzall?

Do I get the broken off blade out of my Milwaukee Sawzall? It is the spring-loaded rotating clamp type

Hi, I'm Mike and I have 20+ years of experience in the home improvement field. I'll be glad to assist you today.

It should come out if you pull the release then run the saw. Did you try that?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No allen wrench required... release?

So it is pretty old? It is the old type that you tighten the allen screw to hold the blade?

The newer ones just have a release lever on the side to release the blade. So just loosen the screw then run the saw and the piece will fly out.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I sent a pic ... the blade is loaded by rotating loaded the lock mechanism ... then removing and replacing the blade while holding the spring action open
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The Milwaukee website didn't seem to have any support or help available online

Oh that type. I did not see a picture but I know the one. Unplug it then hold rotating spring part open and bang the saw guard on some wood or concrete straight down.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I tried that ... not budging

You have to make sure it is fully open when banging it. If it is stiff then WD-40 and turn the spring release open and closed to be sure that it is lubricated then try banging it while open again.

It is pretty hard to have it open completely at the point of contact when you bang it. That is totally my least favourite style of blade release. I have been there before trying to get the blades in and out of that thing.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I'll give it a go... I'll keep working on it

You have to keep that thing lubricated for sure or it gets harder to get blades in and out of the thing.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Failing pounding my $150 saw on the concrete... I would imagine that spring clamp would be replaceable correct? ... do you know how it is removed for repair?

You do not have to break it on the concrete but if you don't want to scratch it you can bang it on wood. The tool is made for impact so you will not damage it. If you had the blade holding assembly replaced it would be about $100.