canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman
Experience:  i have extensive experience in the home improvement industry. my current job is at lowes home improvement.
64367226

Question regarding the installation of a dishwasher. we have

Question regarding the installation of a dishwasher.Hi, we have a freestanding washing machine under our kitchen countertop (width: 59.5cm, height: 85cm; depth: 53.5cm) and we would like to install a dishwasher in its place.The problem is we couldn't find a freestanding dishwasher with a depth smaller than 57cm.What would it take to install an integrated dishwasher? is that the only solution we have?Any recommendations are welcome.Best regards

Hi, I'm Mike and I have 20+ years of experience in the home improvement field. I'll be glad to assist you today.

Are you able to post a picture of the current dishwasher or has it been removed?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi,Thank you. Yes, will post the pictures shortly.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just to clarify, the current machine installed is not a dishwasher but a (cloth) washing machine. We want to replace it by a dishwasher (the washing machine will be moved to the bathroom).

Oh good....I was just about to ask about that. Would you be most interested in integrated or fully integrated? If fully, do you know the cabinet manufacturer or would you have a cabinet face to use?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We are open to both solutions given that it seems hard to find machines with the required depth.
We do not have a cabinet face but we could try contacting our kitchen builder.

When measuring the depth, were you measuring from the back wall to the front of the cabinet or the front of the counter top?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The depth I indicated before was the washing machine's depth, measuring from the back of the wall to the inner side of the cabinet gives 57.5cm.

For clarification the depth of the space from the back wall to the inside of the cabinet is 57.5cm or 53.5?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
57.5cm.
53.5cm is the depth of the machine currently installed in that space.
(sorry for the confusion)

No problem here. Between the real pictures and the one in my head, it is quite clear so far. How important is it that you are able to have the face of the dishwasher be hidden with doors or panel matching the other cabinets? It looks like you were able to hide the washing machine very neatly. Your preference to do the same with the dishwasher?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ideally we'd prefer the dishwasher to be hidden as well but we are open to other possibilities if it looks clean.

The way that it is set up now, if you were to use an integrated or freestanding and were able to fit it in the space by cutting out the wall in the back of the space, it would still be troublesome to open the doors then open the dishwasher and have to load and unload the dishwasher around those doors. There is a very good chance that a fully integrated dishwasher would work in the space. The installer may find that the back wall can be cut out enough to accommodate the machine but may have trouble finding a cabinet face to match the rest of the cabinets. The fully integrated option would be the most troublesome and expensive option. I also think that this is the neatest option. The installer can find a way to install a fully integrated unit and although it is the most troublesome of the installations I think that is surely the option that would be regret free.

I am sorry but my son is insisting we go for a bike ride. I will be back in about 20 minutes or so.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you very much that was very helpful.
Enjoy your bike ride.We will try contacting the kitchen builder to see if they can make a new cabinet face.

You are very welcome. Maybe they will be able to use the existing cabinet doors. You can still comment or ask questions even after positively rating my service. I am happy to continue to help and I will always respond. Mike