Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

My Genie ProStealth garage door opener is "clicking" and

My Genie ProStealth garage door opener is "clicking" and light comes on however it will not engage. How can I troubleshoot to determine what the problem might be ? I have switched out the main boards in the units and the problem stays in the unit and did not follow the board. Units are only 10 years old and I would like to repair.

Hi my name is eddie. I can help you with your difficulties but I will need some information and I will ask you questions that I will need specific answers for. With your help, finding out what is right with it, is a step to eliminate what is wrong with it ......sometimes it may be one of a hundred things but together with your patience we can work toward a goal to get this issue resolved.

If I may ask:

1-) The make and model GENIE PRO STEALTH and/or number of the unit in question and do you have the manual for it?

2-) how old it might be and if you are the original owner

3-) there are 2 safety sensors on your door do both have either an amber, or green light that is on steady and not flickering?

4-) can you tell me if you have a working wall control and how many working remotes

5-) any flashing LED lights on the opener (ceiling unit) and how many times it blinks before pausing? The color of the learn button is?

6-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage

7-) what happened that made it go from working to non-working ?

8-) are you using only the equipment that came with this opener?

9-) do you have a chain......belt......or screw drive?

10-) what exactly happens when you do click the transmitter?....... the door doesn't move but you hear the motor?......it goes partial way?........reverses?

11-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary?

We can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondence

If by some reason a resolution to the problem just isn't possible, I will do my best to supply you with any remaining options, from what other resources I can find.

Since we take pride in our good reputations, and you might feel the need to choose a bad service rating, I ask that you stop and consider replying back to me with any of your concerns.

Please always allow me time to prepare information for you. In case I have to go offline I am always checking back to keep things moving and expedited.

And thank you for your help and assistance

eddie

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
RESPONSES IN CAPS
THERE IS NO MANUAL AND THE MAKE IS GENIE I THOUGHT THE MODEL WAS PRO STEALTH. I'M SURE THERE IS NUMBERS AND I WILL PROVIDE THEM AFTER I ARRIVE THIS EVENING.
10 YEARS OLD AND RARELY USED. WE ARE THE ORIGINAL OWNER.3-) there are 2 safety sensors on your door do both have either an amber, or green light that is on steady and not flickering?
SOLID GREEN
ONE WALL AND TWO REMOTES
5-) any flashing LED lights on the opener (ceiling unit) and how many times it blinks before pausing? The color of the learn button is? NO FLASHING LED LIGHTS, HAVENT NOTICED BLINKS BEFORE PAUSING. LEARN BUTTON IS SOLID RED6-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage. WE HAD A ROOF LEAK A NUMBER OF YEARS AGO AND THIS OPENER TOOK ON WATER. DIDN'T START HAVING PROBLEMS UNTIL ABOUT THREE YEARS LATER. NO OTHER ISSUES OPENER IS VERY HIGH OFF THE GROUND.7-) what happened that made it go from working to non-working ?
NOT SURE. SOMEDAYS IT WORKS AND OTHERS NOT. WHEN IT DOESN'T WORK, THE OPENER WILL "CLICK" AND THE LIGHT WILL COME ON. IT WILL "CLICK" EVERYTIME YOU PUSH THE REMOVE BUT THE LIGHT WILL NOT GO OFF UNTIL AFTER IT TIMES OUT. IF I UNPLUG THE UNIT FOR A WHILE IT WILL BEGIN WORKING AGAIN.
ALL ORIGINAL AND FACTORY.
BELT
"CLICK" SOUNDS ONLY. THIS MORNING IT IS WORKING FINE BUT IN A FEW DAYS IT WILL BE CLICKING WITH NO MOVEMENT AGAIN.11-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary?
YES I CANTHANK YOU.

It is odd that it is working sporadically like that .......I would like to doing simple solutions at first which would be a hard re set

ERASE THE TRANSMITTERS: hold down the LEARN button on the opener for 6 or 7 seconds….If you have a MY-Q device …immediately press and hold the LEARN button again until the learn LED goes out. All codes are now erased.

HARD RESET: unplug the opener what should be for a good minute......in the meantime remove the batteries from the transmitters including the key less.....and if you have a battery back-up.....there is no battery in the wall transmitter…..plug back in the opener and replace the batteries which should be fresh

Do you know how to re program the transmitters? Hold them with-in 12 inches of the opener when you do

What it could be is the logic board.......you said you switched them?........did you happen to notice any slight burn marks on them when you did?

It could also be a gear ....some are made of nylon and they might have worn through out the years........if you could check that when you get there

we'll start with that and get more creative as we go

Thanks

eddie

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The transmitter (wall) is hardwired which is the one we are using. We have unplugged multiple times including over night and this DOES correct the problem short term. Do you still want me to erase the codes since we are using the wired transmitter?

yes we will have to go through the whole process ........I can tell you how to re program the remotes when you have to but it won't be necessary now

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will reset this evening and respond at that time.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok reset the codes and at this time the opener is working which is how it normally does. Do you want me to just ring you again should it stop working again.

Yes please do I would like to nail this down if we could.......thank you for your help

Thank you for the positive rating............ I hope you were able to make an informed decision or better yet your problem was resolved..........if you need anything else home improvement wise....... construction…….decorating...... or any kind of repairs etc....... please look for me ......it has been a pleasure

Customer/p>