canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman
Experience:  i have extensive experience in the home improvement industry. my current job is at lowes home improvement.
64367226

We're shopping for bath vanities and see quite a few pieces

we're shopping for bath vanities and see quite a few pieces that are "laminated solid wood". what is this material and how does it compare to solid wood? we see that these are just as, expensive as solid wood. we just don't want to spend more money for less quality...

Hi, I'm Mike and I have 20+ years of experience in the home improvement field. I'll be glad to assist you today.

The laminate will have a more durable finish but cannot be sanded and stained like solid wood. Both surfaces can be painted.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
why laminate over solid wood when solid wood has been around since man began making wood furniture. is it 'better' than plain solid wood? hence the comparable pricing?

So, it is kind of better? As far as solid wood that would really be preferable if it was a higher quality wood that looks nice with a stain and laminate gives you a more durable finish that will look as good as the higher quality solid wood. The vanities you are looking at very likely have a lower quality solid wood so the laminate will likely look better and surely will have a more durable finish.