canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman
Experience:  i have extensive experience in the home improvement industry. my current job is at lowes home improvement.
64367226

My Chamberlain garage door opener system - 1/2 hp - seems to

My Chamberlain garage door opener system - 1/2 hp - seems to be malfunctioning - just recently when the door closes it reaches the floor and then goes all the way back up again - after several attempts to close it , it will eventauuly stay closed - someone told me that the "close limit switch" needs adjusting - where is this and can I do this myself?? Thank you,
Bob W

Hi, I'm Mike and I have 20+ years of experience in the home improvement field. I'll be glad to assist you today.

Is this a newer door or older? If you hold the wall button, does the door close and stay closed? Does the door seem to be binding or noisy? Has the unit ever been lubricated and if so what parts were lubricated?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
This door is 15 years old - had it serviced last month - new rollers, lubricated chain, hinges, and adjusted springs and new batteries in the remote. the door is not binding and much less noisy now after the service call. Have not tried the wall button re holding it down but can try it if you think necessary.

That is fine. No need to check. The other information you provided is what I was looking for. I wanted to make sure that it was just about adjusting the travel and force limits.

To program the travel limits and force adjustments:

Program the position of the door by using the black and yellow buttons. Black places the door into program mode, the UP (OPEN) and DOWN (CLOSE) arrows walk you through the setup.

Setting the UP and Down Travel positions

1. Press and hold the black Adjustment Button until the UP Button begins to
    flash and/or a beep is heard.
  2. Push and hold the black button until the door reaches the desired UP (open) position. Note: Check to be sure the door opens high enough for your vehicle.
  3. Press and hold the UP Button until the door is in the desired UP position. NOTE: The UP and DOWN Buttons can be used to move the door up and down as needed.
  4. Once the door is in the desired UP position press and release the Adjustment Button. The garage door opener lights will flash twice and the DOWN Button will begin to flash.
  5. Press and hold the DOWN Button until the door is in the desired DOWN position.
    NOTE: The UP and DOWN Buttons can be used to move the door up and down as needed.

Setting the Up and DOWN Force adjustments:

1. Once the door is in the desired DOWN position press and release the Adjustment Button. The garage door opener lights will flash twice and the UP Button will begin to flash.
  2. Press and release the UP Button. When the door travels to the programmed UP position, the DOWN Button will begin to flash.
  3. Press and release the DOWN Button. The door will travel to the programmed DOWN position.
  4. Programming is complete.

Note: If the garage door opener lights are flashing 5 times during the steps for Program the Travel, the programming has timed out. If the garage door opener lights are flashing 10 times during the steps for Program the Travel, the safety reversing sensors are misaligned or obstructed (refer to page 22). When the sensors are aligned and unobstructed, cycle the door through a complete up and down cycle using the remote control or the UP and DOWN buttons. Programming is complete. If you are unable to operate the door up and down, repeat the steps for Programming the Travel.

The door must travel through a complete cycle, UP and DOWN, in order for the force to be set properly. If the opener cannot open and close your door fully, inspect your door to insure that it is balanced properly