Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

I have a Liftmaster Model 3240 on an insulated garage door.

I have a Liftmaster Model 3240 on an insulated garage door. I have had to recently replace the sensors and the door operated correctly for. Short period of time. Now the door will open with a remote, however it will not close at all with a remote . The interior garage door button must be pushed and held until the door is COMPLETELY closed. What are the options for testing to more clearly define the problem.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of the appliance? And has it done this before?
Customer: The make and model is in the first sentence of my initial comments.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No

Hi .........are you sure the sensors are not out of alignment again?........................you need two steady LED lights on both...............if they are after that we will go through a checklist ...........let me know

Thanks

eddie

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have confirmed the sensors are aligned and both lights are on and steady, whether the door is open or closed.

Okay then.............you're insulate vinyl door is going to be heavier than most steel un-insulated ones................so it will put a bit more of a strain on the motor and hardware so what we need to do is disengage the door and manually open it by hand guaranteeing a smooth operation......if it gets hung up even slightly it could be a problem........close the door and make sure all the wheels have play in them by moving them in and out........ along those tracks make sure nothing is scratched or worn and the door is well lubricated and the rails are tied into the wood frame securely …….. Check the chain and make sure it doesn't have too much play or too tight.........it should be just about a 1/4 of an inch above the trolley rail

Thanks

eddie

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have already checked all of those operational items. The closer is not a chain driven model it is a gear driven model. Could the closer need to have the closing tension increased?

that adjustment is only a couple of inches ..........you said it wasn't closing at all?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The door will only close if you hold the control button mounted in the garage continuously till the door is closed.

see ..............that sounds more of a sensor problem................were any wires removed or accidentally could have come off?.........did you disconnect the trolley and see if it opens and closes properly ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
With the trolley disengaged, the operator opens properly, however it will not close at all.

okay we will give this a shot ................with the trolley still disconnected bring the drive connect to the open position toi about where it has to go .........staying 3 inches away from and bolt or such................then reconnect the trolley and i would like to see if the closing has changed any as to where we can use the small adjustment....................but before you do give the door a check one more time by hand make sure it isn't slowed down by any snag or hitch in the rail

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
With the trolley disconnected, the door operates smooth up and down. When I push the button to activate the closer the device travels towards the closed position and suddenly reverses about 2" from fully closed. Is this possibly a need to continue to adjust the sensors for a better alignment?

as long as you have 2 steady lights they are good aside from a short, being connected to the opener the wrong way or a logic board problem.............or it could even mean that the sensors went south again..............also what state do you live?................is it cold there and you find the sensors don't operate well on those type of days?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am in California. I just did a circuit test on my single garage door and then did one on the large double door. The single functions fine. I believe I may have a connection issue at a splice someone had put in place. I will redo this splice and get back with you in a moment.

sounds good ..............it could be a bad wire too

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Functions fine now. The lead going to the sensors had been spliced right at the ceiling line. One of the butt connects was not secure, this the feed was inconsistent from the sensors to the unit ,presenting a false read for closing operation.
Operates as designed now.

Thank you for the positive rating............ I hope you were able to make an informed decision or better yet your problem was resolved..........if you need anything else home improvement wise....... construction…….decorating...... or any kind of repairs etc....... please look for me ......it has been a pleasure

Customer/p>