canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman
Experience:  i have extensive experience in the home improvement industry. my current job is at lowes home improvement.
64367226

I had a inspection done for my septic system 1050 gallons

I had a inspection done for my septic system 1050 gallons and the indicated methane damage to lid is this a suggestion or is it something that has to be done... i always thought if lids are cracked or have a hole they have to be replaced
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: 1 day just got report
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No they want 1400
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The tank was installed in 2004

Hi, I'm Mike and I have 20+ years of experience in the home improvement field. I'll be glad to assist you today.

Did they explain why the methane was not escaping? The methane should be getting out of the roof vents. Were they referring to other gases? Did they explain what the repair is?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They want me to buy a new lid 1400 . The system is working as designed no smell in house observed

Replacing the lid does not fix the issue. If there is methane damage then replacing the lid does not solve the problem. Methane does not escape from the lid. Methane escapes out of the roof vents of the house. Heavier gases follow the piping out to the drain field and are dispersed into the leach field. I would suggest getting better information from them as to what has caused the issue and how they are going to resolve it. Replacing the lid is hardly the fix. The cause could be several things like a pipe being too long and extended too far into the tank.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Under what circumstances does a septic lid need to be repaired . Thanks for previous answer

Gotta walk a doggy....will be right back with response....

If the methane gas is not escaping that can damage the lid and the tank. Also if hydrogen sulfide is is not escaping then that can damage the tank and lid. No matter what gas is causing the damage, replacing the lid is hardly the solution to the issue. There are many solutions to the issue but it is very dependent on the cause. If you could take a picture of the report and post it here I would be interested in what is in the report. So far the information sounds quite fishy to me.