Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

I'm a lawyer and have an insulation company for a client. My

Customer Question

I'm a lawyer and have an insulation company for a client. My client installed some insulation in an attic, that may have been exposed to some gas. The insulation is pumped through a two hundred foot 3 inch hose that goes up from ground level to the attic so if there was some exposure to gas, it would not have left the insulation wet or it would not have been blown through the fan driven system.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: The Plaintiff (person suing us), says there are gas fumes in his house that lasted for several months, resulted in a ceiling needing to be replaced, carpet replaced, furniture replaced, etc. There were several people at times working in the attic and no one suffered any problems from exposure to gas. The Ceiling below the attic showed no signs of gas, there are 19 air vents in the attic of an 1800 square foot house. Our retired fire captain said that if the were fumes in the attic, they would have existed through the ducts instead of penetrating the sheet rock into the house. He also confirmed that if the fumes in the attic we strong enough to penetrate the sheet rock, they would have overcome anyone in the attic...and there would also have been signs in the ceiling where gas and saturated the sheet rock...and none of this was happening. What I am thinking is that there may be a problem with the Plaintiff's furnace. He did have work done prior to my client's arrival and there was damage to the furnace ducts in the attic. I know that in a gas engine, if some dirt lodges in the carburetor
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: I know that in a gas engine if some dirt gets caught in the carburetor, you can get too rich of a mixture of gas and this can result in a smell of gas until the dirt works its way out. Could the same thing be happening with the furnace?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I'm trying to determine if there could be a gas smell from the furnace that lasted for three months and then went away?
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Is it possible that my theory about some dirt lodging in the "carburetor" of the furnace could have caused this phenomenon?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

The problem with your theory is that the only way the exhaust could get into the ductwork and into the house is if there was a crack in the heat exchanger in the furnace. This would not go away. Also a gas fired furnace has nothing even repmotely resembling a carburetor. Also carbon monoxide would be the most likely harmful exhaust product and it is odorless.