Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

I have a crack from the cement at putter garage door for

Customer Question

Hi,I have a crack from the cement at putter garage door for that stretches half way into the garage.Unless I did not see the length before because it is fine the crack has extended into garage.I am concerned about what this could mean and how it came about to happen.What is the remedy for this crack?Also I am waiting to have my kitchen remodeled.When the project begins what is the way that a typical homeowner combats the loss of kitchen appliances water and eating?The cabinets have been delivered the contractor is checking on Thursday.I will be waiting for your response.Have a great day.Thank you.R.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Mike and I have 20+ years of experience in the home improvement field. I'll be glad to assist you today.

If you look on the outside wall of the garage, are there any cracks in the brick?

How old is your house?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will check the outside wall. Do you mean on either side of the garage? Above the garage door is a crack in the cement. The townhouse was built around 1990.I will be back after I check.Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, I do not want the additional charges for $24.00I will be back as soon as I take a look.

I think the site prompts you for the phone call option. Sorry if it is a nuisance. Reviewing the pictures now.

Will you provide one more picture of the whole floor? Also one more picture of any side of the garage floor where it meets the wall?

Do you know if the garage was poured at the same time as the foundation? Is this a house with a crawl space, basement or slab?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I tried to take a photograph of the whole floor it was difficult to get the whole floor in one take.I do not know if the garage was poured at the same time as the foundation.I do not believe that I have a crawl space. I have a finished outter basement with a back door. What would be a slab basement?Thank you.R.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am headed to bed.Good night.R.

A slab is a house that does not have a basement or crawl space and is built on a concrete slab. So, is the crack something new or could it have been there for a long time? Have you noticed the crack getting larger?