ApplianceTech
ApplianceTech, Home Improvement Enthusiast
Experience:  35+year experience in business
20893398

I have tile question, im getting ready to tile my basement

Customer Question

I have tile question
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: im getting ready to tile my basement floor. And I need to put down some kind of primer first so that the thin set mortar will adhere properly...
JA: Have you talked to a construction professional about the floor?
Customer: I actually have... And I think the recommendation that I got isn't quite right i need a tile expert
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I've got a friend or two helping... It's a huge job thoufh
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The house was built in 1950 and the basement currently has a concrete floor
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  ApplianceTech replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using JA!

My name is ***** ***** I have been repairing appliances for over 40 yrs and I will be assisting you tonight . Sometimes, there will be lapses in my replies back to your because of the volume of questions I am answering. But, please be assured that I will be giving you my best effort to help solve your problem.
Give me a few minutes to check out the info you have provided.
Thanks

here is a link to the product you should use on the floor prior to laying your tile

click here

If there is anything else I can help you with today or just an additional question about your issue, just let me know.

I thought I would add, that many people think the deposit payment they placed at the sign-up is sent to me after I answer your questions. It is not. It is held by JA until you give me a positive rating and then Just Answer, credits me for the time working with you.
Answering your questions is how I make my living and "No rating" = No compensation for my time.
I am sure you appreciate my efforts on your behalf,and all I ask it that you take a few moments to "Accept" my answer and rate my efforts with 3-5 Stars on your screen, so I can close your question and proceed to help others that are waiting.
Bonuses are always appreciated, but never required
Thank you so very much again for allowing me to help you out today!
Don

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The recommendation from the tile shop here locally was for mapei aqua defense... Which is crazy expensive and seems like it's intended use is for shower walls not large areas. I'm just prepping the concrete for thinset and then ditra. Is the Eco grip time sensitive? The job is approximately 1000 sq ft.
I should also mention that we recently replaced the sewer line and the concrete is patched. It's been 60 days or so and we haven't seen any moisture or others irregularities appear in the new concrete- or in the junction between the two.
The old concrete was tiled at some point but a previous owner removed the tile. It was the old asbestos tile and the mastic may have contained trace amounts as well. I'm just trying to get that floor. Covered up and want to use the ditra in case of any movement in the slab.

I recommended ECO based on your original question and I thought that you had a basic small job. If seems to me that you are contemplating moisture if you are going to use DITRA. I would place some plastic and duct tape down on your fresh cement to confirm you have no moisture. 1000 ft is a job you don"t want to come back to because of getting cheap on a install step. Usually the better a product performs, the more it costs. I am going to link a copy of Mapei's tile catalog and I would suggest that you give their customer technical support number a call and tell the specialist what you have.

The number is 1-***-***-****

Look over the different products so you can discuss it with the technician.

click here for catalog.