Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

Subfloor Issues. I live in a newly built townhouse in

Customer Question

Subfloor Issues.I live in a newly built townhouse in Orlando Florida. The engineered hardwood floors pop, squeak crack and have visible waves in them. You can put a golf ball down and it rolls to a comer. The subfloor made of partial board (Weyerhaeuser brand) was installed on the second floor and was exposed to rain for 6 months because there was no roof installed. I told the contractor I was concerned about a product made of filler and glue would deteriorate from the rain. He told me this product can withstand 200 days of continued exposer to water. I said "well I hope there is no future problems" he assured me there wouldn’t be any problems and continued to finish the project. Now the floors are squeaking and have waves in them. The contractor says there is too much humidity in the unit because I keep the thermostat at only 75 to 78 degrees. 50 to 60% humidity. He states I need to keep it at 72 or lower. That would bring the humidity to 40%. If you look at the floor next to the baseboards there are sections that are tight up against the bottom of the baseboard and as mush as a 1/4 inch gap in other spots. I say the the floor was never leveled properly prior to installing the engineered hardwood floor and because the subfloor was exposed to rain for 6 months it warped and is bulging and has soften. The unit next to mine is still incomplete. The subfloor there is dark gray and black and buckling. The contractor is claiming owner neglect but will lift portions of the hardwood floor and inject glue where the floor squeaks. Is his diagnosis and remedy accurate? I looked up Weyerhaeuser’s recommended storage and installation requirements and they explicitly say "do not let this product get exposed to water. It should be wrapped at all times until installation". I think it’s obvious the subfloor is not level and water damaged and as the years go by the issues will only get worse. Your thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated. Mike(###) ###-####
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

First your room temp and humidity is perfectly acceptable. The golf ball rolling to a corner is an indication of the floor framing not being level not a sub-floor issue per se. Problematic none the less as it's indication of poor workmanship. I assume you mean OSB (oriented strand board) for the sub-floor as particle board wouldn't last a week in FLA rain. Waves in the flooring indicate not enough room was left for expansion if the floor is foalting or excess moisture if it's nailed or glued down. A buckling subfloor is a major problem and no finish flooring should have been installed on top of it.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is it possible to talk on the phone instead of texting?
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

A phone call is an additional charge. You should see a phone call prompt. If not I can post an additional service offer.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Would you be willing to put our conversation in writing as I plan on going to court over this
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

You can copy and paste our conversation into a doc and reference my credentials. I'm a retired construction supervisor licensed by the State of MA.

Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

Do you have more questions?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If I call you on the phone as I'm inclined to do, I need you to type up our conversation and text or email it to me
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

That's not a service we offer and not what you asked for in your initial post.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I think This is not helping me resolve my issue. I know this is due to poor workmanship because I'm experiencing the problems I mentioned in my previous text. I think I need to hire a subfloor contractor to come to my house and see it in person. I think Trying to resolve this issue on line is not going to work for me
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

Ok, I don't know what you were expecting. In your initial post you said "Your thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated." I gave you comments/input backed by 40+ years of experieince.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm looking for validation this contractor didn't follow the manufactures preservation and installation procedures for the materials used and didn't perform work in a professional workmanlike manner
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

Ok, but you didn't ask for that in your initiail post. I feel like you moved the goal posts on me. You can use my comments and reference this site ( Just Answer.com) which has vetted my credentials through an independent 3rd party service.

When I consult for court cases I get $200 an hour plus expenses with a 1 hour minimum. But the site desn't allow me to work for folks I meet through this service.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I believe I did ask. It's becoming clear this website is not the venue to resolve my problem. I need to have a contractor come to my house. This issue can not be resolved by tying words. I think someone needs to see the issue first hand to understand and make a recommendation. I'm not trying to get out of paying you, but I'm not satisfied with what we discussed here. I can't give a 3 rating or better. How do I pay you even though I feel no better off than when I started. You did type with me and you should be paid for your time.
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

I only get paid if you rate 3 stars or better. If you feel my time deserves some compenastion then please contact customer service at
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

and discuss it with them. Other wise I'd appreciate no rating at all.