Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

I have a Chamberlin Liftmaster Formula 1 opener. All of a

Customer Question

I have a Chamberlin Liftmaster Formula 1 opener. All of a sudden the door will only open about 4 to 5'' and then stop. If I help the door up it will open completely. I tried to adjust the up tension but doesn't seem to make a difference. The door is > 10 yrs. old and has never done this before.
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eddie replied 6 days ago.

Hi my name is eddie. I can help you with your difficulties but I will need some information and I will ask you questions that I will need specific answers for. With your help, finding out what is right with it, is a step to eliminate what is wrong with it ......sometimes it may be one of a hundred things but together with your patience we can work toward a goal to get this issue resolved.

If I may ask:

~~PLEASE CUT AND PASTE THE NUMBERED QUESTIONS AND PUT YOUR ANSWERS NEXT TO THEM~~

1-) The make LIFTMASTER and model FORMULA 1 and/or number of the unit in question and do you have the manual for it?

2-) how old it might be and if you are the original owner

3-) can you tell me if you have a working wall control and how many working remotes

4-) any flashing LED lights on the opener (ceiling unit) and how many times it blinks before pausing? The color of the learn button is?

5-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage

6-) what happened that made it go from working to non-working ?

7-) are you using only the equipment that came with this opener?

8-) do you have a chain......belt......or screw drive?

9-) what exactly happens when you do click the transmitter?....... the door doesn't move but you hear the motor?......it goes partial way?........reverses?

10-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary?

We can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondence

If by some reason a resolution to the problem just isn't possible, I will do my best to supply you with any remaining options, from what other resources I can find.

Since we take pride in our good reputations, and you might feel the need to choose a bad service rating, I ask that you stop and consider replying back to me with any of your concerns.

Please always allow me time to prepare information for you. In case I have to go offline I am always checking back to keep things moving and expedited.

And thank you for your help and assistance

eddie

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
1) No manual or #'s available.
2) between 10 -15 yrs. and I am original owner
3) yes on working wall control and 2 remotes.
4) N/A - no visible lights.
5) None that I am aware of.
6) No idea! It worked one day and did not next morning.
7) Yes.
8) chain.
9) it opens between 3 to 5" and then stops! hit control again and it closes completely.
10) Yes I can assist.
Expert:  Eddie replied 6 days ago.

okay next is the safety sensors.......they are on the rails by the bottom of the door............they should have either a steady green or ***** *****ght......is this the case ?

do you have a wood door ?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Yep. The left sensor has an ***** *****ght.
Expert:  Eddie replied 6 days ago.

and the other?................no light?

wood door?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
That one is green
Expert:  Eddie replied 6 days ago.

okay we need to set the travel limits ...........I got you a manual so on page 23 is where to find these instruction to follow ..........we can start here and see where it will lead.......let me know when it is completed and what the functionality is

Thanks

eddie

and do you have a wood door ?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
where is the manual? Sorry I cannot find.
Expert:  Eddie replied 6 days ago.

I'm sorry I forgot to paste the link

http://www.liftmaster.com/catalogresourcesv3/en-us/shared/files/tucmanuals/114a3044.pdf

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
No wood door. Manual adjustment does nothing. Light is still amber on left and green on other. No luck.
Expert:  Eddie replied 6 days ago.

next .......shut the door and release the emergency cord to set the door to a manual function

then open and close the door by hand a few times and look for any binding or any kind of hitch in what should be a very smooth operation

click the wall remote and run a cycle and get the trolley back in the up position...........connect the trolley to the opener again and try the travel limit adjustment one more time

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Already did that and nothing.
Expert:  Eddie replied 6 days ago.

that last thing is the logic board that it is now faulty .......your options are to replace it at 90.00 to 120.00

I want to make you aware that on upgrading your opener …….

1-) A garage door opener has a shelf life or life expectancy of 10 -12 years Being that your door opener is a bit past that it is very likely to soon fail you at the most inopportune time say inclement weather……. thus locking you either out of your garage. Or even worse yet if you need to get into your garage fast… due to security issues.

2-).New… safe….quiet… user friendly and the best part ……self-diagnosing openers these days start about $150.00

3-) it is the perfect weekend project where you can save on labor on the install

4-) the tracks the garage door are okay to keep unless you see signs that the rollers are wearing in which case they can be replaced.

Overall consensus is the Chamberlain Liftmaster/Craftsman brand openers are the most reliable on the market today……. they seem to last a bit longer than other brands before they start to malfunction and are easy and inexpensive to repair ………without having to purchase a new opener unit. i recommend these brands to my clients because of their reliability……… a new Chamberlain Liftmaster/Craftsman opener that is properly installed should last 10-12 years before any problems occur…….and that the tracks are maintained

Expert:  Eddie replied 4 days ago.

I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and of sound value and would consider a positive rating so I can receive credit for my help. I'm proud of the work I do here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!

Thanks

eddie

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Eddie. Unfortunately even through your advice was sound it did not correct my situation. Finally called a garage door service who determined right away that the spring was broken and what caused the problem. So again I appreciate your time but overall it did not correct my situation.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Wish if would have worked better.
Expert:  Eddie replied 4 days ago.

sure no problem as long as it is fixed it did work out ............good luck to you