Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

I have a lift-master model1255k garage door that won't go

Customer Question

i have a lift-master model1255k garage door that won't go down by remote when temperature is below 40 degrees. will operate only by holding stationary wall button until door is completely down
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eddie replied 5 days ago.

Hi .............Yes it is a common problem for the safety sensors............what you might try doing is wrap a small towel tight around the sensors and see if that alleviates the issue or makes it better..........Please let me know thanks

eddie

Expert:  Eddie replied 5 days ago.

make sure to keep the LED lights exposed so you can always see if they are aligned

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
are you referring to the photo sensors on either side of the door? is there a sensitivity adjustment somewhere? the overhead door next to the one in question hasn't had a temperature issue. both doors were installed in 1996.
Expert:  Eddie replied 5 days ago.
are you referring to the photo sensors on either side of the door? YES is there a sensitivity adjustment somewhere? ​NO AND DEFINITELY NOT FROM '96 the overhead door next to the one in question hasn't had a temperature issue. both doors were installed in 1996. IS IT A COMMERCIAL OVERHEAD DOOR?........DOES THAT HAVE SAFETY SENSORS? AND MAYBE THEY HIT A WARMER AREA I know it is frustrating........but you have to see what will work.........perhaps switching them and keeping the sender sensor in the sun............but I would try the towel or duct insulation wrap for starters Thankseddie
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hey Eddie, I'll try that when I get home this evening. Won't be able to report until I get out of the digital hole we live in- maybe sometime tomorrow. Thanks, Charles
Expert:  Eddie replied 4 days ago.

Sure thank you Charles

Expert:  Eddie replied 2 days ago.

I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and of sound value and would consider a positive rating so I can receive credit for my help. I'm proud of the work I do here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!

Thanks

eddie

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
Hey Eddie. I'll try your suggestions when the temp gets cold again. Right now the door is working flawlessly. Your suggestions make sense- is there a good way to check the photo eye alignment? I haven't noticed any visible light coming from the sensors.
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 day ago.

Hi Charles ........the way to check is if the LED lights on both are steady on on and not flickering......then you have the proper alignment

eddie