canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman
Experience:  i have extensive experience in the home improvement industry. my current job is at lowes home improvement.
64367226

I want to know if I can use the space above my two car

I want to know if I can use the space above my two car attached garage as sleeping space/loft. The only entry and exit is in the garage itself the area above the garage is floored but nothing else.

Hi, I'm Mike and I have 20+ years of experience in the home improvement field. I'll be glad to assist you today.

There are many requirements to consider when converting a space for living area. Stair size, square footage of floor space, windows, bathrooms, kitchens and ceiling height would be just a few.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok simply what I wanted to know is if I legally can build out the space above the garage and use it for a place to have guests sleep. The only entry into the space is through the door in the garage itself. My concern is carbon monoxide getting up there, and only having the stairs as egress other than a window

The area would have to be at least 70 square feet, with at least a 6'8" ceiling height and a stairway that meet minimum code requirements for starters. Also there would have to be room in the joists for proper insulation and also proper air circulation in the attic area. The garage below would not be a concern as long as the living area meets code requirements.

The short answer is that if you do have the space, then the area can be converted to living space.

The stairs would be another concern if they are not 30 inches wide and if they are the correct rise and run meaning that the stairs cannot be higher than 9 inches and also 9 inches deep with at least 6'2" of headroom.

The living area itself has to be at least 70 square feet of finished space and headroom has to be at least 6'8" of headroom in 75% of that area.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok. So I have 2x6 framing. I have an existing stairway there and door at the garage. The walls would come out 40 inches be drywalled insulated etc. So I don't need any other egress and the pitch of the roof is 12 12. Ceiling height is 9 ft. And after the room would be finished it would measure 27x8
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok that's the issue headroom overall. Not there. As well i want to put 6 beds up there for sleeping have a large extended family that visit often
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
9 ft ceiling height is center of room most common height in the room would be 6ft

Well, it sounds like you do have the space so the next thing would be measuring the stairs. There are so many other codes that would need to be met but those would really just come with the territory of remodeling. The biggest issues are structural and space. The stairs and headroom would be the biggest concerns. The 2x6 ceiling joists would have to be scabbed to be wider to be at least 2x8 which really is not a big deal either. A window is required and a door which are not hard to add. The rest is really just meeting code with electrical outlets and heating and cooling etc. Also, of course consider zoning and parking requirements.

The treads on the stairs have to be proper treads too so when measuring the heights and width consider the treads may be an inch thicker than what is there.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok so I should call the building department and ask for a permit or can I do it without a permit. Just want to be legal. I live in lake placid area
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Are you here in the local sebring lowes. Because if so I would like to buy my materials from you as you are very helpful. And if I understood correctly I would have to add a second door goin outside from the room upstairs

You certainly will need a permit. If you are going to use a contractor they can handle all of that. The door does not have to be upstairs. The living space is required to have two emergency exits and that could consist of a downstairs door and window in the sleeping area. Sorry, I am not anywhere near you but I will always be here in the internet tubes if you have any more questions.

They will be able to tell you about any zoning restrictions with a phone call but more detailed information would require a plan to be submitted and permit applied for.