Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

I am working on removing several layers from a kitchen

Customer Question

I am working on removing several layers from a kitchen floor. The sheet vinyl and Masonite came up rather easily. Now I have found the huge amount of staples used to put down the Masonite plus vinyl tiles and tar paper before seeing the heart pine wood floor. The vinyl tiles and tar paper can also be removed with no6t too much effort. The problem is the staples! They break if pulling them straight out with plyers. Inserting a screw driver and pulling up gouges the wood floor and frequently breaks the staples. Please advise the best way to remove the staples. Thanks!
JA: Have you talked to a construction professional about the floor?
Customer: No I haven't yet. I know when they come to sand the floor the broken staples are a problem for the sanding machines.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No, professionals will refinish the floor. I am just trying to prepare it and have it ready to refinish.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Just need to get the staples out without hurting the floor.
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eddie replied 14 days ago.

hi this is what I would do ............get yourself a pair of channel lock pliers like or similar to these and a paint stick

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Channellock-Griplock-12-5-in-and-9-5-in-Tongue-and-Groove-Pliers-Gift-Set-GLS-1/100029000

grab the staple and then rotate the top round part down to the floor protected by the paint stick and pry it out

let me know if you need more of an explanation

Thanks

eddie

Expert:  Eddie replied 12 days ago.

I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and of sound value and would consider a positive rating so I can receive credit for my help. I'm proud of the work I do here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!

Thanks

eddie

Expert:  Eddie replied 10 days ago.

If you have any additional questions so that I can receive credit or any concerns, construction.......decorating....... any kind of repairs, etc I will be here for you

thank you

eddie