Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

I rent the bottom floor of a house and many of the outlets

I rent the bottom floor of a house and many of the outlets are too big. What i mean is that the plugs easily fall out of the sockets. is there some easy fix?

yes there is.....with your fingers or a pair of pliers GENTLY spreaad the prongs on your plug ever so slightly..........either in or out with both .........give it a try if it still has the same problem spread them a little more ..........please let me know.........we should test the outlets for proper voltage too.......but there is no hurry for that

Thanks

eddie

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
well that's interesting. thanks. will try and get back to you tomorrow.

Thank you .............happy hunting

eddie

This is Prograde. I do not agree with the other expert. The cords fall out because the outlets are worn. The proper and safe method of repair is to replace the worn outlets.

There are several manufacturers of electrical receptacle tension testers.

It is not acceptable to modify the the prongs on the connectors and can be a fire hazard.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Eddie, I tried what you said but it didn't work well. It made it a little more snug but still fell out. Prograde, I agree that they should be replaced but since I don't own this place, I don't know that I should spend money on that. Any idea what that would cost? There are about 10 outlets that are faulty.

Because it's a rental and since it's a hazard, perhaps the landlord will spring for the replacements...they should. If not and you opt for DIY, the outlets are app $2 each or if you hire a professional, as much as $35-$65 each outlet in some areas.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is it hard to replace myself? My landlord not to inclined to help.

The difficulty is medium. If you move the wires one at a time, it will keep you out of trouble but its basically, white wires on one side (the silver screwsl and black wires on the other (the brass screws), green or bare if present goes on rhe green screw. By the time you are done you will have the hang of it. If you run into any problems, shoot me a question (and a picture is always helpful). I woyld adk for a little discount on rent if you save him/her this much by DIY.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Last question: am I supposed to shut all electric off first?

I do not recommend trying it with power, yes be certain the circuit you are working on is off. Check each outlet with a working table lamp before working on it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank u. Great advice.

You are very welcome. You can do this. Let me know if you hit a bump in the road. Glad to help.

I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and of sound value and would consider a positive rating so I can receive credit for my help. I'm proud of the work I do here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!

Thanks

eddie

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
NO problem Eddie, i just have a question for prograde. Sir, if i close this file and begin to work on the outlets, how could i contact you for help if this file is closed?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the question can pertain to you as well Eddie.

I want you to understand that I will provide the simplest, easiest and most affordable solution until I can get a read by our correspondence if we need to go in another direction by the degree of difficulty for you or an alternate resolution ..........if you recall I wanted you to test for proper voltage and connection for each receptacle and we would have gotten to that if someone hadn't been so impetuous

but you are welcome to request either one of us when you next open a subscription page

Thank you it has been a pleasure

Customer/p>

It would be better to leave the question open. You can rate my service and close it when you are done & satisfied.

My apologies for the late reply, someone had the question locked and I could not respond. Just let me know if you have any questions

.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The outlet says 15A , 125V
The kne I bought was 20/125Might I assume I should go back to the store to get the one that matches or is it close enough?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This outlet also had electrical tape covering the wire connections. Is that something I have to do once I change the outlet?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I added pictures just so u can see what was under the tape.
You are probably running 14 gauge wire there and on a 15 amp circuit this is okay but the breakers purpose is to cut off power before the wiring overheats. If you change wire gauge, outlets, or breakers to 12 gauge or 20 amp plug in several devices on an outlet that total 20 amps, you will exceed the safe working capacity of the 14 gauge wire without tripping the breaker……….so yes it would be best to stay with 15 amp receptacle and the purpose of the tape is to insulate the metal if it touches the metal box so it is a good practice to use ........make sure the breaker is off when working on a circuit of course Thankseddie
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks I'll go buy the right one.

this is a very handy tool to have to run a test on each after being changed

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-Tools-Outlet-Tester-Green-MS112H/206029154

you're very welcome ...........I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and of sound value and would consider a positive 5 star rating so I can receive credit for my help. I'm proud of the work I do here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!

Thanks

eddie

Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience: owner of Island Pro-Craft
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I changed the outlet and all went well. It works! Well done to both of you guys.

Thank you for the positive rating and bonus that was nice of you............. I hope the help was good and you were able to make an informed decision..........if you need anything else home improvement wise....... construction…….decorating...... or any kind of repairs etc....... please look for me ......it has been a pleasure

Customer/p>
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Much appreciated.

.