Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

I have hairline cracks in the liner of the fabricated

Customer Question

I have hairline cracks in the liner of the fabricated (metal) fireplace. The fireplace is 26 years old. Do they need to be repaired and if so is there a material I can coat the cracks in the liner?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can

continue our conversation.

If you're talking about the "firebrick" liner in the fire box, there is no material you can use to repair it. Replacment is the only option.The back is usually what takes the most heat abuse and usually fails first. If you get to it before it really starts to break down you can use a cast iron fire back against the back wall. You can even use a piece of 1/4 steel plate on the floor on top of the firebrick if you have trouble finding replacements.