Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
Experience:  Has written home improvement articles since 2008. Earned South Carolina Residential Builders License in 1991.
75209918

Tv fell over during earthquake. purchased from harvey norman

Customer Question

hi there, tv fell over during earthquake. purchased from harvey norman 1/15/2015. it is a sony4k ultra hd lcd led smart 65". it has a 'crack' on the screen like a stone hitting a window. have taken it to recommended tv repair outfir called hanlon/tisco in petone. they have quoted just under $5k to repair/replace screen. it cost us $3888 in 2015. comments please, suggestions please. we have $2000 excess on contents policy. we are pensioners. thanks bill and sue.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: tv was collected by repair company last friday, have contacted eqc. have not agreed or signed papers with anywon. thanks.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: happy to get other quotes etc, or work with eqc, but wanting to know if $5k to repair tv costing $3888 is valid.thanks sue and bill
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: do we dump it and buy a new one ?
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Machinc replied 18 days ago.
I think you would be better off to put the $5,000 towards a new television.
Expert:  Machinc replied 18 days ago.
The improvements and inivations are coming so fast sometimes an electronic device is outdated by the time a year goes by,
Expert:  Machinc replied 18 days ago.
While repairs will put you back where you were you may find more features available for the same or less money than the repairs.
Expert:  Machinc replied 18 days ago.
Shop wisely and I believe you may be pleasantly suprised at what is available.
Expert:  Machinc replied 18 days ago.
Usually it is a good rule not to pay as much or more for repairs than the original cost of the Item
Expert:  Machinc replied 18 days ago.
Many makes and models have actually gone
down in price
Expert:  Machinc replied 18 days ago.
Check for resolution and internet access, HD and stereo.
Speaker size and type.
Expert:  Machinc replied 18 days ago.
Your damaged one has some great features so make sure you are not stepping down.
Expert:  Machinc replied 18 days ago.
Even if you exceed the $5k for a new one you will be more likely to be better of in the long run.
Expert:  Machinc replied 18 days ago.
The screen is apparent damage but there may also be subtle damage that may show up later.
Expert:  Machinc replied 18 days ago.
It would be a shame to spend that much on repairs and then have sone other component fail a few months after you put the set back in service.
Expert:  Machinc replied 18 days ago.
The repair shop may give a limited warranty to cover only parts they replaced.
Expert:  Machinc replied 18 days ago.
Some parts can test , and appear ok and then fail shortly later.
Expert:  Machinc replied 18 days ago.
Its tough to give up a fairly new TV but the odds favor you would be better to go with a new one.