Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

I was wondering what this is-- there appears to be dark hair

Customer Question

Hi, I was wondering what this is-- there appears to be dark hair in this material but yet it has a fronting backing like drywall- like a cardboard type material. We live in an old house but it has had renovations done over the years. Is his drywall? Some kind of plaster board? Those fibers are dark and so resemble animal hair correct?
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Please see attached photos
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
More
Expert:  Eddie replied 15 days ago.

yes it is a prototypical drywall they used to use horse hair as an insulation both in compressed drywall and stuffed into the framing bays..........is the house about 75 years old?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
It's 116 years old! But this was a wal built later. Is it likely it has asbestos in it?
Expert:  Eddie replied 15 days ago.

not sure ...........but what you can do it buy a tester kit down at the Home Depot and check that out ........

http://www.homedepot.com/p/PRO-LAB-Asbestos-Test-Kit-AS108/202731785

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Okay-was it common to use asbestos in these types of walls? Does that black hair definitely look like animal hair?
Expert:  Eddie replied 15 days ago.

I know for sure in plaster walls and maybe some in drywall at the beginning............and yes to animal hair

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Is this type of wall called rock lath? Or plasterboard?
Expert:  Eddie replied 15 days ago.

if you rip a piece down there will be some kind of indication in writing along the long roll seam and the company that produces it ......it is difficult for us both just looking at the edge

Expert:  Eddie replied 15 days ago.

if you need to put your mind at ease more you can pick up that test kit I sent the link for

Expert:  Eddie replied 15 days ago.

and it isn't rock lath ...........rock lath is used as a backer for plaster walls ........it has 1 inch cut out circles through out .......then plaster is applied on top of it

Expert:  Eddie replied 13 days ago.

I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and of sound value and would consider a positive rating so I can receive credit for my help. I'm proud of the work I do here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!

Thanks

eddie