Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

Putting a 42 inch door in shop, see pictures of door and

Customer Question

Putting a 42 inch door in shop, see pictures of door and where its going. I am going to cut the hole in the wall and use that post in the picture to mount either a 2x6 or 2x8 to it or maybe use a 4 x 6 post into the cement there knocking out the cement and digging it down or putting a mount right on the floor. Need guidance in how to do this the best way to get it in. Also since the door is so big it is 6 1/2 inches wide on the framing so I cant use 2x4's to do this. Thanks for your help.
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 14 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Looks like you have a beam above the existing post. Will the door fit under the beam?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi Rick no the door won't fit under that I plan to cut the door I've done that before for another door in a building so I'm okay with doing that
Expert:  Rick replied 14 days ago.

Ok, my question was related to not messing with the beam. If you need to cut the door down that's up to you. The new post on the other side would not be structural so you only need it for nailing. Best way to secure it at the base/slab is to let it sit on top of the slab and use a String Tie angle bracket to secure it. I'll find you a link to a typical one give me a few.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
do you drill into the cement with those and anchor bolt them or those blue little cement screws? I have used those before on a deck for support never on cement. The top is just a 2x6 so I will cut the door down to fit it. where I am uncertain is how to frame it in, what size boards/posts to use and if I should put another post up against that support post you see on the right there. it is definetly not true/square so I will need to do something there to square that side up.
Expert:  Rick replied 14 days ago.

Yes, drill into the cement and use TapCons (blue cement screws). Probably best to put a square post on either side since the post I see is far from square. You only need posts on either side of the jamb.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok and back.to my.original post on the size of boards and post you would suggest. What.other advice on getting its on.Rick
Expert:  Rick replied 14 days ago.

The posts on either side should be the depth of the jamb (looks like a ~6" jamb) so you can use doubled up 2 X 6's on either side. Other than securing the posts top (into the beam) and bottom (with the angle bracket) it's just like any other pre hung door. I assume you've hung pre-hung doors before. You'd make the opening at least an inch bigger so you can shim the door plumb.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok and what/how to secure the bottoms of the posts?those little string ties wont.make.it stable enough I wouldn't think. Thanks for your help
Expert:  Rick replied 14 days ago.

That's eaxctly how you do it. With the Strong tie brackets. They are more than enough.

Expert:  Rick replied 14 days ago.

Of course you want you posts to fit tight to the floor and beam

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
This is the biggest door ever put in I put in two smaller 32 inch doors and I can see possibly using those strong ties but with this big heavy door that is why I was thinking I need to knock out the cement bury a couple of posts cement those in to give something to secure solid base for when that big heavy door opens and shuts so are you saying put like lag bolts also up the side of the post or what Rick those little things I don't see holding those posts in the ground with those little flimsy blue screws I've used them before and they broke off
Expert:  Rick replied 14 days ago.

The last thing you want to do is bust into the slab. Those TapCons are far from flimsy. I don't know what size you use but no way you break off a #12 Tapcon. I've put in much bigger doors than this. I'm not going to argue the point. You asked for expert advice and that's my advice based on 40+ years in the building & remodeling business.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Rick I'm not trying to argue with you I'm trying to get some help. I don't do this stuff for a living I sit behind a desk so I appreciate your input and suggestions giving me the size of the bolts the types of board size of the boards that kind of thing that's what I'm asking for thanks
Expert:  Rick replied 14 days ago.

Do you have more questions?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No Rick not from you from here on out I would ask that you please not answer any of my questions if you do by mistake I will ask you to opt out
Expert:  Rick replied 14 days ago.

Ok, fair enough.