Martin, Electrical Engineer
Experience:  Design, construct, fix and grow stuff around and in the home.
14666028

I have a production problem to solve. A manufacturing

Customer Question

I have a production problem to solve. A manufacturing process leaves a series of 10 mm diameter holes in 2mm thick sheet. I want to close these holes with minimum damage. I am thinking along the lines of stamping out discs of about 9.5 mm and then flash welding them in place. Any advice would be most gratefully received.
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Martin replied 21 days ago.

Hi. Without giving too much detail about the item, can you tell me a bit why it need to be closed. Will this piece be under stress in the final use or subject to heat. Does the plug need to be flush with the surface? What is this made of, steel, aluminum?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Hi Martin, It needs to be closed because the surface must be flat and contiguous. There will be no particular stress on area except if it receives knocks during use. Yes, it should be absolutely flush with the surface, I want to try to avoid using putty to make up surface levels. It is mild steel.
Expert:  Martin replied 20 days ago.

Using another filler like epoxy would work. Other than that you could also mechanically snap steel piece without soldering (especially if you make them slightly convex and you machine the inside slightly concave) by pounding it in with a hammer or a press (a very cold piece can make it tight even more when it expend to room temperature).

Soldering it like you mentioned can also work but require a good finishing step and you need to control the temperature to minimise warping.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
But my question was about welding, not soldering. I want to know the best method to use for this application. Are you a welding expert?
Expert:  Martin replied 19 days ago.

Sorry about the wording, i often say soldering because i do so much electronic fix.

For the tickness, SMAW (stick welding) would do the trick. Like i said it can be a long process to finish a plate. Buffering and all (as flux may splatter around the hole perimeter), especially if you want two sides to look nice. That is why i suggested pressure insert like used for bimetal coin money.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Hi Martin,I'm sorry but I do not think you are the right professional to work with me. I specifically asked for a welding expert. I understand all about stick welding, MIG, TIG, SPOT. I am looking for for help in a specialized area as noted in my OP. Please can you pass this off to someone with the necessary specialized experience?Thanks