Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

I have a 13 year old chamberlain opener that seems to be

Customer Question

I have a 13 year old chamberlain opener that seems to be loosing its signal. Sometimes as it is going up or down the light goes off and the door stops. it take multiple tries to get it to activate and operate. It happens with both wired and wireless controllers.
I have cleaned and oiled the tracks and rollers as well as the pulleys on the belt.
It works for a while and then starts acting up again.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is eddie. I can help you with your difficulties but I will need some information and I will ask you questions that I will need specific answers for. With your help, finding out what is right with it, is a step to eliminate what is wrong with it ......sometimes it may be one of a hundred things but together with your patience we can work toward a goal to get this issue resolved.

If I may ask:

~~PLEASE CUT AND PASTE THE NUMBERED QUESTIONS AND PUT YOUR ANSWERS NEXT TO THEM~~

1-) The make CHAMBERLAIN and model and/or number of the unit in question and do you have the manual for it?

2-) how old it might be 13 YEARS and if you are the original owner

3-) there are 2 safety sensors on your door do both have an amber, or green light that is on steady and not flickering?

4-) can you tell me if you have a working wall control and how many working remotes

5-) any flashing LED lights on the opener (ceiling unit) and how many times it blinks before pausing? The color of the learn button is?

6-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage

7-) what happened that made it go from working to non-working ?

8-) are you using only the equipment that came with this opener?

9-) do you have a chain......belt......or screw drive?

10-) what exactly happens when you do click the transmitter?....... the door doesn't move but you hear the motor?......it goes partial way?........reverses?

11-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary?

We can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondence

If by some reason a resolution to the problem just isn't possible, I will do my best to supply you with any remaining options, from what other resources I can find.

Since we take pride in our good reputations, and you might feel the need to choose a bad service rating, I ask that you stop and consider replying back to me with any of your concerns.

Please always allow me time to prepare information for you. In case I have to go offline I am always checking back to keep things moving and expedited.

And thank you for your help and assistance

eddie

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am the original owner. was on the new home in 2013. Do not have the manual. It is a basic opener. Belt type. Model number not available. It appears that the power is interrupted while the opener is operating. Will partially go up or down and just stop. There is no obstructions or no flashing lights. Motor doesn't operate. Am capable to make adjustments.
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 month ago.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The lights on the safety sensors are lit green and not flickering. When I click the transmitter either in vehicle or the one by the man door will start to operate. It will work flawlessly most of the time. The door stops intermittently while going up or down. Can stop operating at any time. I have a feeling this problem could be linked to the pcm within the opener head unit.This opener has just started doing this.I have oiled the rollers, Checked the tension on the belt. Checked the drive sprockets. Oiled the sprockets
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you still working on this issue?
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 month ago.

when you say oiled ...I hope you mean grease .......a light grease is whats needed...........it sounds like you checked for any impediments .......one more .....if you could close the door and check each roller that it has a little play moving in and out......the slightest pinching will cause the door to act erratically ....................the other is the logic board or the capacitor

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I feel that the problem is the logic board. Cannot be purchased by other than a licensed contractor. Will make arrangements through my contacts. I am a Home Inspector and will research further. thank you
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 month ago.

if you examine the capacitor see if it is a little bent out of shape or has an oily film on it

if you can get me a model number I will try and obtain a manual for you

I can also get you a logic board through my supplier

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The opener is a CHAMBERLAIN LIFTMASTER PROFFESSIONAL FORMULA 1 PART NUMBER 41A5483-4 MFG DATE 03-02
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry, couldn't get back sooner.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am in the process of adjusting the door track as it is possible that the wood trim has swelled. Seems to be working at the moment
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 month ago.

excellent............hard time finding the manual but I will research it more

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was able to find a manual on line. RE To your statement about the process of oiling. Roller are oiled and track is greased with lithium grease according to the manual.
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 month ago.

no that's fine just don't oil the track or WD-40

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am calling for a garage door service co to assess the situation. I worked on the issue for sometime yesterday with out success. After researching different brands of openers from the local home centers, I feel that mine is of better quality. It is possible that there may be some warrantee attached to this opener. Thank you for your assistance
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 month ago.

No on the warantee after that time ........and i see what you are saying but just to give you a little more to consider

1-) A garage door opener has a shelf life or life expectancy of 10 -12 years Being that your door opener is a bit antiquated it is very likely to soon fail you at the most inopportune time say inclement weather……. thus locking you either out of your garage. Or even worse yet if you need to get into your garage fast… due to security issues.

2-).New… safe….quiet… user friendly and the best part ……self-diagnosing openers these days start about $150.00

3-) it is the perfect weekend project where you can save on labor on the install

4-) the tracks the garage door are okay to keep unless you see signs that the rollers are wearing in which case they can be replaced................but you said it's all checked out

Overall consensus is the Chamberlain Liftmaster/Craftsman brand openers are the most reliable on the market today……. they seem to last a bit longer than other brands before they start to malfunction and are easy and inexpensive to repair ………without having to purchase a new opener unit. i recommend these brands to my clients because of their reliability……… a new Chamberlain Liftmaster/Craftsman opener that is properly installed should last 10-12 years before any problems occur…….and that the tracks are maintained

I hope this helped

Thanks

eddie

Expert:  Eddie replied 1 month ago.

I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and of sound value and would consider a positive rating so I can receive credit for my help. I'm proud of the work I do here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!

Thanks

eddie

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not a lot of help. Found the manual on line my self. The door rollers are the culprit. After much research on my part was able to correct the problem.
No need to continue sending e-mails.
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 month ago.

.