Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

Liftmaster photo eye problem. I've removed the rx'r and it

Customer Question

Liftmaster photo eye problem. I've removed the rx'r and it works from five feet but not 15. Is it the TX - RX - or the main board ??
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Since I bought the house, 5 months now.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: All wires appear to be good/not broken and are making good contact at the snaplocks on the main board.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is eddie. I can help you with your difficulties but I will need some information and I will ask you questions that I will need specific answers for. With your help, finding out what is right with it, is a step to eliminate what is wrong with it ......sometimes it may be one of a hundred things but together with your patience we can work toward a goal to get this issue resolved.

If I may ask:

~~PLEASE CUT AND PASTE THE NUMBERED QUESTIONS AND PUT YOUR ANSWERS NEXT TO THEM~~

1-) The make LIFTMASTER and model and/or number of the unit in question and do you have the manual for it?

2-) how old it might be and if you are the original owner

3-) there are 2 safety sensors on your door do both have an amber, or green light that is on steady and not flickering?

4-) can you tell me if you have a working wall control and how many working remotes

5-) any flashing LED lights on the opener (ceiling unit) and how many times it blinks before pausing? The color of the learn button is?

6-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage

7-) what happened that made it go from working to non-working ?

8-) are you using only the equipment that came with this opener?

9-) do you have a chain......belt......or screw drive?

10-) what exactly happens when you do click the transmitter?....... the door doesn't move but you hear the motor?......it goes partial way?........reverses?

11-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary?

We can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondence

If by some reason a resolution to the problem just isn't possible, I will do my best to supply you with any remaining options, from what other resources I can find.

Since we take pride in our good reputations, and you might feel the need to choose a bad service rating, I ask that you stop and consider replying back to me with any of your concerns.

Please always allow me time to prepare information for you. In case I have to go offline I am always checking back to keep things moving and expedited.

And thank you for your help and assistance

eddie

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
1-) The make LIFTMASTER and model and/or number of the unit in question and do you have the manual for it? Chamberlain Liftmaster Pro ½ HP Model 41AC050-2. No Manual2-) how old it might be and if you are the original owner? Aprox 9 yrs, MFR Date is 8/07. No.3-) there are 2 safety sensors on your door do both have an amber, or green light that is on steady and not flickering? 1 Amber Steady Light. 1 Green – Steady at 5 feet/no light beyond that. Can’t get a lock on the transmitter once your beyond 5 feet and the beam has been broken.4-) can you tell me if you have a working wall control and how many working remotes. Wall unit works and one remote.5-) any flashing LED lights on the opener (ceiling unit) and how many times it blinks before pausing? The color of the learn button is? It blinks 4 times and sits there unless you hold down the wall unit to close the door. The Learn button is PURPLE.6-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage? Not to my knpwledge.7-) what happened that made it go from working to non-working ? Don’t know.8-) are you using only the equipment that came with this opener? Yes.9-) do you have a chain......belt......or screw drive? Chain10-) what exactly happens when you do click the transmitter?....... the door doesn't move but you hear the motor?......it goes partial way?........reverses? The door will go up but not down.11-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary? Yes.Thanks, Dave
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 month ago.

Hi Dave ............all things considered the symptoms are pointing toward the sensors.........I don;t know if you live in a cold climate but that will affect the sensor........we can do simple checks first and then get more creative if we have to .......you can

disengage the door and manually open it by hand guaranteeing a smooth operation......if it gets hung up even slightly it could be a problem........close the door and make sure all the wheels have play in them by moving them in and out........make sure the door is well lubricated and the rails are tied into the wood frame well

back to the sensors.......

you either have them misaligned, a bad eye, a bad wire, or possibly a bad logic board........check the wires for staples in the wire, they can be there for years before they cause trouble............after that we can try limit or force adjustments
if none of that works, you'll need to buy new sensors...........Home Depot will carry them for about 40.00

Thanks

eddie

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry Eddie but I came to the same conclusion and was looking for a more definitive answer. Especially since the sensors appear to work in close proximity to each other (all wiring was good). It's when they are a double wide doors length apart that they cease to function. Do the sensor eyes (TX/RX which one or both) go bad and what would be the indications of that for instance. What about voltage from the main board at the back of the unit - is there a standard to follow and test for. I'm not satisfied with the answer I got. I still have more questions than answers. So I will go to home depot and get the sensors and teach myself along the way what the standards should be. Thank you for your time.
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 month ago.

please don't give me a bad rating because I gave you other directions to explore other than just the sensors had you chose not to do so.............good luck to you