Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft

My garage door opened by itself twice in the last two days

Hi my name is eddie. I can help you with your difficulties but I will need some information and I will ask you questions that I will need specific answers for. With your help, finding out what is right with it, is a step to eliminate what is wrong with it ......sometimes it may be one of a hundred things but together with your patience we can work toward a goal to get this issue resolved.

If I may ask:

1-) The make and model and/or number of the unit in question and do you have the manual for it?

2-) how old it might be and if you are the original owner

3-) there are 2 safety sensors on your door do both have an amber, or green light that is on steady and not flickering?

4-) can you tell me if you have a working wall control and how many working remotes

5-) any flashing LED lights on the opener (ceiling unit) and how many times it blinks before pausing? The color of the learn button is?

6-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage

7-) what happened that made it go from working to non-working ?

8-) are you using only the equipment that came with this opener?

9-) do you have a chain......belt......or screw drive?

10-) what exactly happens when you do click the transmitter?....... the door doesn't move but you hear the motor? goes partial way?........reverses?

11-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary?

We can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondence

If by some reason a resolution to the problem just isn't possible, I will do my best to supply you with any remaining options, from what other resources I can find.

Since we take pride in our good reputations, and you might feel the need to choose a bad service rating, I ask that you stop and consider replying back to me with any of your concerns.

Please always allow me time to prepare information for you. In case I have to go offline I am always checking back to keep things moving and expedited.

And thank you for your help and assistance

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi Eddie,
Thank you for your response to my issue with my garage door opener. I should have supplied you with some of the basic information. The answer to your questions are:1. Chamberlain Lift Master Professional, Model Series 1300, Model 1346 1/3 HP. I do have the manual.
2. It was manufactured on 9/07. I am the original owner.
3. Both lights are on, one amber and the other green and steady.
4. One wall unit and one remote and one factory car (Jeep Grand Cherokee) remote. They all work.
5. No flashing LED lights on opener and it does not blink when activated. Learn button is purple.
6. No disruption or change. No kids at home.
7. It has opened twice by it's self in last two days.
8. Yes only original equipment, other than the car remote. It opened once when the car was parked in the garage and once when the car was away form home.
9. Chain drive.
10. The door works perfectly with all remotes and outside wall unit (factory).
11. Yes, I can do what ever needs to be done. I just need some guidance.
Thanks again for your help,

Hi John...........most likely the reason why it is happening is because you have a neighbor now on the same what we can do is something simple first and that is a erase these codes .......a hard re set and then reprogram all remotes........and this is how..........

ERASE THE TRANSMITTERS: hold down the learn button for 6 or 7 seconds….If you have a MY-Q device …immediately press and hold the LEARN button again until the learn LED goes out. All codes are now erased.

HARD RESET: unplug the opener what should be for a good the meantime remove the batteries from the transmitters including the key less.....and if you have a battery back-up.....plug back in the opener and replace the batteries which should be fresh

Do you know how to re program the transmitters? Hold them with-in 16 inches of the opener when you do

Please let me know how it goes

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi Eddie,
I have reprogrammed the remote and the keypad on the outside of the garage. I have to wait till my wife gets home to reprogram the car.Hope that solves the problem. One quick question. If a neighbor picked up my code wouldn't my remote with the old code open their garage? I walked up and down the street last night and nothing happened to my neighbors garage doors? Just asking.
Thanks for your quick response.

hi Ed ...............make sure you do the deprogramming all at once like stated above or it wont work..............and not necessarily....... a frequency can be picked up on but it doesn't mean it works in reverse with the same code..........and it could be as much as 2 blocks away.....not just your immediate street

Thank you for the positive rating............ I hope you were able to make an informed decision..........if you need anything else home improvement wise....... construction…….decorating...... or any kind of repairs etc....... please look for me has been a pleasure

and the bonus too .............that was nice of you