Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.

Does this amount of clean tapwater in/on the framing (which

Customer Question

Does this amount of clean tapwater in/on the framing (which flowed from the upstairs sink when someone was filling it, walked away and forgot to come back for about 5 minutes) warrant the complete removal of furniture from the room, and replacement of the carpet, and carpet padding? What happened once the tap was turned off was the water all ended up in the same place, the plaster absorbed it, and fell from the ceiling (about 1.5' x 2.5' on the ceiling).I think not, but a water damage company proposed all that.
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 5 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Based on your description I don't see the need to replace the carpet but if it soaked up enough water to bring down the plaster the carpet and pad should be lifted and dried out. Sometimes than can be done while leaving the carpet in place sometimes not.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you.
What about the demolition of the wall and ceiling? Is that the normal amount of lathe and plaster or just plaster (on the ceiling) to remove?
Expert:  Rick replied 4 days ago.

No need to demo anything other than removing the wet plaster and drying out the ceiling. If this is plaster and lathe them removing all the ceiling plaster (just the plaster not the lathes) can make installing new sheet rock on the ceiling easier.