Steve G., Handyman
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company and home theater advisor.
329447

We a sentry safe that doesn't open with the key or

Customer Question

We a sentry safe that doesn't open with the key or electrical combination. How do we open it?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Steve G. replied 6 months ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

Now..just to confirm, you have definitely replaced the batteries. You are getting no signs of life from the keypad?

How old is the safe?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The safe is about 6 years old. There is no life with brand new batteries.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 6 months ago.

Unfortunately, both the key and the electronic lock are required to open the safe.

You are sure the battery is in correctly?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the batteries are in correctly
Expert:  Steve G. replied 6 months ago.

Ok. Have you rotated the body of the electronic lock counter-clockwise after battery replacement?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 6 months ago.

Then it would appear that the lock is defective. Without the electronic keypad, it is impossible to gain access to the safe.

Is the lock barrel pushed in or is it flush with the door?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The barrel ( key lock) is out.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
On really close inspection of the bottom of the battery case there looks like there is a little corrosion. What can I clean it with?
Expert:  Steve G. replied 6 months ago.

You can use an old toothbrush and some water and bicarb mixed into a paste. Then wipe it off.

Then make sure the contacts at the far end of the battery compartment are not similarly corroded. If they are, clean t hem.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Terminals are cleaned but the yellow wire connection from inside the keypad has popped out and I am unable to see past te plastic guard as to where to reconnect this wire. The yellow wire has a white plastic connector on the end and it must fit into a slot behind this black plastic guard but I am unable to where to reconnect this yellow wire.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Steve,
We now have the wire connected.the key pads now lights up when we put the code in it should come up with the symbol of an lock unlock but it comes up with the word bar and the handle goes up and down and nothing happens.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Steve,
We still need help to open safe.
Is there any way to fix handle?
Expert:  Steve G. replied 6 months ago.

Sorry, I had to step away.

You did this with the key turned to the right?