Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Home Appliance Reparer
Experience:  maitenance tech at casto
95800582

My mother's house has a fiberglass awning over the porch.

Customer Question

Hi. My mother's house has a fiberglass awning over the porch. It's probably 30 year old and is pretty grimy. I'd like to wash it. Any suggestions for how best to go about it? What kind of cleaners to use, etc.?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

1.Set up a ladder to clean the awning if needed. Have a friend or family member spot you to avoid injury.

2.Spray the awning with your garden hose to remove dirt, leaves, insect remains and other debris.

3.Make a cleaning solution using water and an all-purpose, nonabrasive cleaner. Pour the water into a clean bucket or other applicable container and add as much cleaner as you need to create a soapy mixture. If you are unsure how much cleaner to use, use about 1/4 cup of cleaner for every cup of water.

4.Clean the awning with the mixture and a nylon brush or sponge. Rinse the awning with water and dry it with an old, clean towel.

5.Make a paste of 3 parts baking soda and 1 part white vinegar to combat stubborn stains. Apply the paste to the stains and allow it to stand for five to 10 minutes before rinsing with soapy water. Rinse the awning again with your garden hose and dry with an old towel.