Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

Ever since the grand kids pushed numerous buttons on the

Customer Question

Ever since the grand kids pushed numerous buttons on the Sentry safe model A5781, I can't get the safe to open. I push the correct 5 digits , the green light for proceed is green, I hear a click but the handle won't move. I even changed the 4 AA batteries to no avail.
Do I need to enter a new combination. I'm pretty sure they hit the clear button somewhere along the way. Did this erase my combination?. Thanks for your help, Jack Schreier
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Without entering the correct code first, the code cannot be changed.

Besides that, what you describe (green light, an audible click) indicates that the code is correct and works... except for the door not unlatching.

This indicates not so much a changed code, as a jammed latch.

Try pushing inward on the door, while entering the code to unlock.

Once the code has been entered, try rattling the latch a bit.

At worst, you may need to get some powdered lock lubricant, and blow it into the area of the latch. (Warning: grease lubricants will gum up a safe, do not use grease nor oil lubricants, but a powdered silicone-based lock lubricant that is safe for safes.) This may free up the sticking latch, and allow the door to open properly.

(How old is your safe, by the way?)