Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

I'm installing a new ceiling fan where no wiring exists and

I'm installing a new ceiling fan where no wiring exists and I need some help.

sure .........my name is ***** ***** can I help you with?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm installing a ceiling fan where no wiring exists. There are two switches where I want to install the one for the ceiling fan and take power from. I already have the box installed in the ceiling.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
One switch goes to a porch light and the other goes to an outlet

The ceiling box ...........is it supported for the weight of the fan?

if you shut off the breaker to those switches you need to find out everything that is on it because if you overload the breaker will keep tripping........ideally since the fan has a motor it would be best to have a dedicated line..........that isn't always possible though

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The box is rated for a ceiling fan. It's just one porch light and an outlet on the switches

the outlet ........is that on a switch for a lamp ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
but there probably won't be a lamp ore anything on it. We could just take that off and have that power run the ceiling fan if possible

there were two switches in this box ..........and not the outlet right ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Correct the outlet is by the floor

okay if you could open that outlet up and take off the mounting screws and pull it away from the box .............then take a few photos of it ................make sure the power is off and remove any electrical tape if it is around the receptacle

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Red on one side and white on the other, black wires twisted together.

back to the switch box ............the wire coming up from the bottom is black white and red ..........that extra wire is not a green ground right ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No there are no grounds it's an old house.

we could leave that the way it is if you want ..........it just means expanding to a 3 gang box or using a combination switch

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Eaton-15-Amp-120-277-Volt-Heavy-Duty-Grade-3-Way-Decorator-2-Single-Pole-Combination-Switches-Almond-7728A-SP/206469465

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Let's just leave it I already have the three gang box

okay you are going to put in that 3 gang box next ...............the wires that are existing will be connected the same way so make sure you mark them .......................that top right is the feed or hot line in ......we will be connecting the fan wire to that ...............do you have a remote for this fan ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't have the fan yet so it could very possibly have a remote, but one that you just wire inside the fan

well what I suggest is to run 12 or 14/3 wire so that you can operate the fan and light from that location anyway

what wire do you have to run to the fan/light?

you could have two of those combination switches I showed you in a 2 gang box and leave it the way it is

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'd rather do a three gang since I already have everything for that.

okay you have to pull the wires ........take out the two gang ..........install the 3 gang ...........run another wire to the ceiling box..........re-connect those wires the way they were ...........it is a lot more work and we'll have to pick this up again tomorrow when you get this done ............and what wire were you going to run to the ceiling box? do you have that already too? or did you want to run 3 wire anyway ?

how come you wouldn't want those 2 combination switches? ............you wont have to remove the 2 gang and it will be nice and neat ..........that was just a sample picture ............they come in white too

I have to go offline now and we will pick this up again tomorrow like I mentioned before............if you could answer all my questions too it would make it easier to help you out

Thanks

eddie

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay tomorrow around 6.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Pm

okay don't forget to answer the questions please

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I just prefer the three separate switches and I just cut the whole.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I was going to run 14-2 to the ceiling box and get power from the existing switches I'm not sure how to wire that I'm though.

when you get that all done we will complete it for you

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay

make sure to put those wires back the same way ..............mark them if you have to

thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay I got all the wiring done I think I'm ready to wire up the fan.

good morning...........what you will do now .......in the switch box the new wire you ran to the fan you will tie in the grounds all together ............the white wire will get twisted and capped withe the feed wire coming in from the bot***** ***** (neutral) and then make a black jumper wire (a piece about 5 inches long to go from one lug on the switch and twist and cap it to the black wire feed (hot) coming from the bottom.........take the black that goes to the fan and put it on the other switch lug.......then its a straight hook up on the fan...........let me know when you get that all done

Thanks

eddie

I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and of sound value and would consider a positive rating so I can receive credit for my help. I'm proud of the work I do here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!

Thanks

eddie

Thank you for the positive rating............ I hope you were able to make an informed decision..........if you need anything else home improvement wise....... construction…….decorating...... or any kind of repairs etc....... please look for me ......it has been a pleasure

Customer/p>