Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
Experience:  Has written home improvement articles since 2008. Earned South Carolina Residential Builders License in 1991.
75209918

I'd like to hang my curtains 1-2" from the floor since we

Customer Question

I'd like to hang my curtains 1-2" from the floor since we live on a farm and the floors get dirty easily. The area above our bedroom window is slightly dormered and is 80' floor to ceiling. I didn't want to spend money on hemming 84' curtains so I bought curtains that are 72'. After receiving them I realize that if I hung them at the desired 1-2' from the floor, the tops would barely clear the window opening and it'll look weird. yet if I hung them with enough clearance above the window then they'll be hanging 3-4' from the floor, which also looks weird (kind of like seeing a woman wear pants that are not short enough to be capris, but not long enough to hide her andles). I notice there i s a bit of cloth that is hemmed at the bottom. Can I just unhem this bit of fabric -- it is about 2' and would give me the desirable clearance of the top of the window and the floor. Is that what it's for?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Machinc replied 8 months ago.
If you undo the hem you would have to make a new hem so the fabric would not unravel.
Expert:  Machinc replied 8 months ago.
A 1/2 " hem would give you one and one half inch more of length.
Expert:  Machinc replied 8 months ago.
A smaller hem would be harder to work with .
Expert:  Machinc replied 8 months ago.
Basically custom drapes have about a four inch hem.
This is more for style than for altering.
Expert:  Machinc replied 8 months ago.
Lengthening the drapes by shortening the hem will make them look less stylish or expensive to some people . Others could care less .
Expert:  Machinc replied 8 months ago.
This is just something to consider for your own taste before altering your drapes/ curtains.
Expert:  Machinc replied 8 months ago.
https://www.createforless.com/Scotch-Essentials-Permanent-Hem-Bonding-Strips/pid276431.aspx?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=cse&cagpspn=pla&CAWELAID=530001980000167688&CAAGID=11319326534&CATCI=pla-74264183654&catargetid=530001980000049449&cadevice=m&gclid=COS1suKS2M8CFQ-raQodBYAO2g
Expert:  Machinc replied 8 months ago.
https://www.amazon.com/Thermoweb-Heatn-Iron-Adhesive-3-Yards/dp/B000XZTSYQ
Expert:  Machinc replied 8 months ago.
These tapes work well.
Expert:  Machinc replied 8 months ago.
The length of the hem is basically a matter of your taste .
You will not be cutting anything off so you do have room to experiment.