Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP

Remodeling living room finding that ceiling drywall has

Customer Question

remodeling living room finding that ceiling drywall has "popped out of its screws" and is drooping down in the same area but in all 3 of the 4x12 sections. When I push up on it it flexes. Can I just jack and prop all the sections up with a long sturdy 2x12 piece of wood, then screw it back to the joists above? Any tips would be appreciated.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 13 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Yes you can just prop it back into place then refasten it with drywall screws no further that 12" apart. If you want to avoid a recurrence then you have to take measures to not sink the screws too deep. This can be done with a drywall screw gun or even a phillips bit with a depth collar made just for this purpose.

Expert:  Rick replied 13 days ago.

Here's what the bit looks like

Expert:  Rick replied 11 days ago.

Do you have more questions?