Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft

My wall switch of my garage door opener is flickering and my

Customer Question

My wall switch of my garage door opener is flickering and my garage door isn't operating
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Today
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Depends
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Checked sensors and everything seems ok
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eddie replied 10 days ago.

Hi my name is eddie. I can help you with your difficulties but I will need some information and I will ask you questions that I will need specific answers for. With your help, finding out what is right with it, is a step to eliminate what is wrong with it ......sometimes it may be one of a hundred things but together with your patience we can work toward a goal to get this issue resolved.

If I may ask:

1-) The make and model and/or number of the unit in question and do you have the manual for it?

2-) how old it might be and if you are the original owner

3-) there are 2 safety sensors on your door do both have an amber, or green light that is on steady and not flickering?

4-) can you tell me if you have a working wall control and how many working remotes

5-) any flashing LED lights on the opener (ceiling unit) and how many times it blinks before pausing? The color of the learn button is?

6-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage

7-) what happened that made it go from working to non-working ?

8-) are you using only the equipment that came with this opener?

9-) do you have a chain......belt......or screw drive?

10-) what exactly happens when you do click the transmitter?....... the door doesn't move but you hear the motor? goes partial way?........reverses?

11-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary?

We can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondence

If by some reason a resolution to the problem just isn't possible, I will do my best to supply you with any remaining options, from what other resources I can find.

Since we take pride in our good reputations, and you might feel the need to choose a bad service rating, I ask that you stop and consider replying back to me with any of your concerns.

Please always allow me time to prepare information for you. In case I have to go offline I am always checking back to keep things moving and expedited.

And thank you for your help and assistance

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
1) liftmaster 1300 have manual
2) 9 years old
3) 1 green and 1 amber both steady
4) yes with 2 remotes
5) light is not flashing on unit and there is power coming out of outlet
7) idk..when I left for work it was fine, and when I got home it didn't
8) yes
9) chain
10) noise, nothing
11) yes, kinda...I'm no Bob Villa
Expert:  Eddie replied 9 days ago.

you'll have to check for power to the outlet first since nothing is happening other than the light on the transmitter but that might only be on because you have a battery back up

-Start at the electrical panel box and see if a breaker has might not look like it has but one might be slightly off click it ALL the way to the OFF position and then ALL the way back to the ON

-look for a GFI outlet.......... or before the garage that may tripped also and click the RESET button on it is good to have one of these too

we have to start here so if you could do that and then get back to me

Expert:  Eddie replied 8 days ago.

I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and of sound value and would consider a positive rating so I can receive credit for my help. I'm proud of the work I do here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!