Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

Replacing my window cranks. Attached are the old installed

Customer Question

Replacing my window cranks. Attached are the old installed cranks that I cannot remove. The cranks must be able to slide back through the opening and then slide back in . I cannot get the crank assembly out as the white housing for the handle seems to be attached to the window frame and will not budge.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

The cover over the interior crank mechanism should pop off revealing a couple screws that holds it in place.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It wont. Hold on I will send pic of new with same issue.
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

Ok

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
here
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

Ok, I thought these were Jeld-Wen casements. Looks like you have to remove the 5 screws from the crank mechanism on the outside of the opening and disconnect the mechanism where it attaches to the window then slide the whole thing through the opening in the jamb.

Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

Have you tried that yet?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Tried that, wont release from window frame. See pic 4224, 4225 the white enclosure housing the crank handle assembly will not come loose even with the screws taken out. It's attached to the frame it seems as when I try to even pry a bit the window frame sticks. Pic shows screws in but I had taken them out and put back then took pic.
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

I'm going to open this up to my colleagues so one of them can help. Please don't respond (even to acknowledge this post)until you get a response from us. If you respond first it will only delay your answer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It was glued on so I fixed it by prying it loose. Thx.