Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP

Well, the weekend before last our garage door opened just

Customer Question

Hi there, good morning,
JA: Hello. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: Well, the weekend before last our garage door opened just fine with both our remote and the sensor from our car. This past weekend arriving late at night - no action at all. Neither the remote nor the car sensor would work. Tried the touch opener in the garage - still nothing. Checked the supply to the craftsman door opener and it is fine. Rather baffled - any ideas?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: It's our weekend home so only noticed it when we arrived there friday evening . When we left last Sunday - 18th - it was fine. We are prone to power outages, however, we have quite a few and this has never happened in the past.
JA: Have you tried power cycling the appliance -- unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: No - not for a few hours - only just a few minutes
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Would like to ....
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: well my husband checked to see if any fuses had blown - not that we can see = but only opened up the two main flaps on the outer sides to reveal the light bulbs
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is eddie. I can help you with your difficulties but I will need some information and I will ask you questions that I will need specific answers for. With your help, finding out what is right with it, is a step to eliminate what is wrong with it ......sometimes it may be one of a hundred things but together with your patience we can work toward a goal to get this issue resolved. I will do my best to provide you with a satisfactory and a reasonable answer.

If I may ask:

1-) The make and model and/or number of the unit in question and do you have the manual for it?

2-) how old it might be and if you are the original owner

3-) there are 2 safety sensors on your door do both have an amber, or green light that is on steady and not flickering?

4-) can you tell me if you have a working wall control and how many remotes

5-) any flashing lights on the opener and how many times it blinks before pausing? The color of the learn button

6-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage

7-) what happened that made it go from working to non working ?

8-) are you using ONLY the equipment that came with this opener?

9-) do you have a chain......belt......or screw drive?

10-) what exactly happens when you do click the transmitter?....... the door doesn't move but you hear the motor? goes partial way?........reverses?

11-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary?

We can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondence

If by some reason a resolution to the problem just isn't possible, I will do my best to supply you with any remaining options, from what other resources I can find.

Please, since we take pride in our good reputations, and you might feel the need to choose a bad service rating, I ask that you stop and consider replying back to me with any of your concerns.

Please always allow me time to prepare information for you. In case I have to go offline I am always checking back to keep things moving and expedited.

And thank you for your help and assistance