Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft

I cannot get my genie garage door to reprogram it works fine

Customer Question

I cannot get my genie garage door to reprogram it works fine manually, but not by remote I replaced the batteries and followed the manual
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: just today
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I followed all the steps in the book with no luck. could this be the photocells?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is eddie. I can help you with your difficulties but I will need some information and I will ask you questions that I will need specific answers for. With your help, finding out what is right with it, is a step to eliminate what is wrong with it ......sometimes it may be one of a hundred things but together with your patience we can work toward a goal to get this issue resolved.

If I may ask:

1-) The make GENIE and model and/or number of the unit in question and do you have the manual for it?

2-) how old it might be and if you are the original owner

3-) there are 2 safety sensors on your door do both have an amber, or green light that is on steady and not flickering?

4-) can you tell me if you have a working wall control and how many working remotes

5-) any flashing LED lights on the opener (ceiling unit) and how many times it blinks before pausing? The color of the learn button is?

6-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage

7-) what happened that made it go from working to non-working ?

8-) are you using only the equipment that came with this opener?

9-) do you have a chain......belt......or screw drive?

10-) what exactly happens when you do click the transmitter?....... the door doesn't move but you hear the motor? goes partial way?........reverses?

11-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary?

We can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondence

If by some reason a resolution to the problem just isn't possible, I will do my best to supply you with any remaining options, from what other resources I can find.

Please, since we take pride in our good reputations, and you might feel the need to choose a bad service rating, I ask that you stop and consider replying back to me with any of your concerns.

Please always allow me time to prepare information for you. In case I have to go offline I am always checking back to keep things moving and expedited.

And thank you for your help and assistance

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
genie 1022/1024/1042. I have the manual. I am not the original owner. I don't know how old the unit is but it looks to be in good shape and has worked perfectly until today. I have one green and one red light on the is a chain drive unit. I have no wall control but the two original remotes both worked until today. I can close or open the door manually from the unit but nothing happens when I hit the remote. The red light sensor was off the bracket but that is all I can find that was out of the ordinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
when I hit the remote the light on the unit blinks red nothing happens otherwise
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
this is a genie model 1042
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 month ago.

and no wall control?..............not even a like a door bell button?...............and if so does that work ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no wall control that I can find
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 month ago.

there always is one..........if you are in your garage without the remote transmitter how would you normally open the door?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't know. I just bought this house. it worked fine until today. I don't see one at all
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I found it on the outside. its not working either
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 month ago.

it might be by the garage door too..........its just a button I need to see if that is working first

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it is not working
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 month ago.

lets do a hard re set first .......

what I would like to do is erase the transmitters then a hard reset and then and re program.......then we will get more creative as we go

ERASE THE TRANSMITTERS: hold down the learn button for 6 or 7 seconds….If you have a MY-Q device …immediately press and hold the LEARN button again until the learn LED goes out. All codes are now erased.

HARD RESET: unplug the opener what should be for a good the meantime remove the batteries from the transmitters including the key less.....and if you have a battery back-up.....plug back in the opener and replace the batteries which should be fresh

Do you know how to re program the transmitters? Hold them with-in 16 inches of the opener when you do

Please let me know how it goes

Expert:  Eddie replied 1 month ago.

both the sensors have a steady light too right ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the LED wont go out
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 month ago.

on the sensors?'s not supposed to

Expert:  Eddie replied 1 month ago.

do you have a blinking light on the opener and if so how many times does it blink before a pause ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
steady light on the sensors. green blinking light on the opener. no pause
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it did not work the steps per the manual are to hold down learn button until it blinks the hit any button on transmitter and then hit again . light should go out. it did all that but I got nothing
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 month ago.

did you do the hard re set ?............erase the remotes by holding the learn button for 10 seconds

Expert:  Eddie replied 1 month ago.

I have to go offline now........we can pick this up again tomorrow ........I will check back and leave a response then

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I tried the hard reset it didn't work. this would work better if they would stop trying to sell me crap throughout the process. Thanks
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 month ago.

you may have had a power surge and it did some damage to the circuit board because some of the things that were tried should have gotten us somewhere.......if you are following the programming to the letter you should see a blinking light for it to be ready to be programmed..........if not then something else is awry...............the blinking on the opener (ceiling motor) should have a pause too if you could verify that ........and maybe someone removed the wall control but you should have one and maybe that is why we can't program you see just a wire leading by an entry door?.................maybe the previous owners thought it was a good controller and took it with them .......I don't know but it's not normal to not have one.............we might have to put a low voltage wire in to test it............let me know

Expert:  Eddie replied 1 month ago.

I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and of sound value and would consider a positive rating so I may receive credit for my help. I'm very proud of the work I do here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!

Expert:  Eddie replied 27 days ago.

If you have any additional questions so that I may be rated or concerns, construction.......decorating....... any kind of repairs, etc I will be here for you

thank you