Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Home Appliance Reparer
Experience:  maitenance tech at casto
95800582

I have a sprinkler valve that has been changed 3 times and

Customer Question

I have a sprinkler valve that has been changed 3 times and it still leaks do you have a solution to this problem?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. Is it leaking when the water is off?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No it does not leak when the water is off.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
But I can't water my lawn with the water off.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 2 months ago.

No I get that I was just wondering if it was leaking when you have the water off or just when it was on. It does happen believe me. So what kind of sprinkler system do you have?

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 2 months ago.

Dirt and debris trapped in the valve may cause it to "weep." The telltale sign of a weeping valve is excessive puddling at the lowest sprinkler after the valves have shut off.

To check for excessive dirt, debris or algae buildup, turn the water off,remove the valve bonnet, and check the screens for contamination. Some valves have filter screens directly below the solenoid, which can be removed with a small screwdriver or coin. Flush the screens with water to remove any debris.

This is also a good time to check the diaphragm and valve seat for debris,wear or deterioration (note that some valves have these two components molded into one piece). The diaphragm, which is a large, rubber-like,flexible disc, is subject to deterioration. It can be nicked or torn by a trapped pebble or a build-up of grit.

The valve seat is the lower sealing surface in the valve body. Inspect it for nicks by running your finger over the lip of the valve seat. Replace the valve body if the valve seat is damaged. Check the diaphragm and the valve seat for cracks and wear. Replace them if they show signs of wear or deterioration. Reassemble the valve, turn on the water, and manually operate the irrigation controller to make sure everything is working properly.

Solenoids If you have checked the water supply, the power supply and the diaphragm and valve seat, and the valve is still malfunctioning, usually the only possibility left is a faulty solenoid.